PROOF that god DOES NOT exsist! - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
PROOF that god DOES NOT exsist!
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 3:41 PM on j-body.org
well i was going to retype the handout i got in my philosphy class but i found it onlien so here it is.

=========================

Can Science Prove that God Does Not Exist?
"No one can prove an unrestricted negative" is the reply usually given to those who claim that science can prove that God does not exist. An unrestricted negative is a claim to the effect that something doesn't exist anywhere. Since no one can exhaustively examine every place in the universe, the reply goes, no one can conclusively establish the non-existence of anything.
The principle that no one can prove an unrestricted negative, however, is itself an unrestricted negative. It says, in effect, that there are no proofs of unrestricted negatives. But, if there are no proofs of unrestricted negatives, then no one can prove that no one can prove an unrestricted negative. And if no one can prove that no one can prove an unrestricted negative, then it must be logically possible to prove an unrestricted negative. So the claim that no one can prove a universal negative is self-refuting-if it's true, it's false. What I intend to show here is not only that unrestricted negatives can be proven, but that a number of them have been proven.

Parmenides realized over 2,500 years ago that anything that involves a logical contradiction cannot exist. We know that there are no married bachelors, no square circles, and no largest number because these notions are self-contradictory. They violate the most fundamental law of logic-the law of noncontradiction-which says that nothing can both have a property and lack it at the same time. So one way to prove a universal negative is to show that the notion of a thing is inconsistent.

To prove that God does not exist, then, one only has to demonstrate that the concept of God is inconsistent. Traditional theism defines God as a supreme being-a being than which none greater can be conceived, as St. Anselm would have it. We know, however, that there is no supreme number because such a notion involves a logical contradiction. Every number is such that the number 1 can be added to it. If there were a supreme number, it would be such that the number 1 can and cannot be added to it, and that's impossible. Many believe that the notion of a supreme being is just as incoherent as the notion of a supreme number.

Consider, for example, the claim that god is all-good and thus both perfectly merciful and perfectly just. If he is perfectly just, he makes sure that everyone gets exactly what's coming to them. If he is perfectly merciful, he let's everyone off. But he can't do both. So the notion of a supreme being may be internally inconsistent.

This is just one of many inconsistencies that have been found in the traditional concept of God. For a more complete review of them, see Theodore Drange, "Incompatible-Properties Arguments: A Survey" in Philo (Fall/Winter 1998). Theists, of course, will claim that, properly understood, there is no contradiction. What if they're right? What if it's logically possible for the God of traditional theism to exist? Does that mean that one cannot prove that he does not exist? No, for in order to prove that something does not exist, one need not show that it is logically impossible. One need only show is that it is epistemically unnecessary-that it is not required to explain anything. Science has proven the non-existence of many things in this way, such as phlogiston, the luminiferous ether, and the planet Vulcan. Scientific proofs, unlike logical proofs, do not establish their conclusions beyond any possibility of doubt. But they are proofs nonetheless, for they establish their conclusions beyond a reasonable doubt and that is all that is needed to justify them.

Phlogiston, the luminiferous ether, and the planet Vulcan are theoretical entities that were postulated in order to explain various phenomena. Phlogiston was postulated to explain heat, the luminiferous ether was postulated to explain the propagation of light waves through empty space, and Vulcan was postulated to explain the perturbations in the orbit of Mercury. Science has shown, however, that these phenomena can be explained without invoking these entities. By demonstrating that these entities are not needed to explain anything, science has proven that they do not exist.

God is a theoretical entity that is postulated by theists to explain various phenomena, such as the origin of the universe, the design of the universe, and the origin of living things. Modern science, however, can explain all of these phenomena without postulating the existence of God.1 In the words of Laplace, science has no need of that hypothesis.2 By demonstrating that God is not needed to explain anything, science has proven that there is no more reason to believe in the existence of God than to believe in the existence of phlogiston, the luminiferous ether, or Vulcan. This may explain why more than 90% of the world's top scientists disbelieve or doubt the existence of God.3

Scientists prefer natural explanations to supernatural ones, not because of any metaphysical bias on their part, but because natural explanations produce more understanding than supernatural ones. As Plato realized, to say that God did it is not to explain anything, but simply to offer an excuse for not having an explanation.4

The goodness of an explanation is determined by how much understanding it produces, and the amount of understanding produced by an explanation is determined by how well it systematizes and unifies our knowledge. The extent to which an explanation systematizes and unifies our knowledge can be measured by various criteria of adequacy such as simplicity (the number of assumptions made), scope (the types of phenomena explained), conservatism (fit with existing theory), and fruitfulness (ability to make successful novel predictions).

Supernatural explanations are inherently inferior to natural ones because they do not meet the criteria of adequacy as well. For example, they are usually less simple because they assume the existence of at least one additional type of entity. They usually have less scope because they don't explain how the phenomena in question are produced and thus they raise more questions than they answer. They are usually less conservative because they imply that certain natural laws have been violated. And they are usually less fruitful because they don't make any novel predictions. That is why scientists avoid them.

The realization that the traditional God of theism is not needed to explain anything-that there is nothing for him to do-has led a number of theologians to call for the rejection of this notion of god. In Why Believe in God? Michael Donald Goulder argues that the only intellectually respectable position on the god question is atheism.5 In Why Christianity Must Change or Die, Reverend Spong, former Episcopal Bishop of New Jersey, argues that the traditional theistic conception of God must be replaced by one grounded in human relationships and concerns.6 Both agree with Stephen J. Gould that religion should not be in the business of trying to explain the world.7

What if there was no plausible natural explanation for some phenomena? Would that justify the claim that god caused it? No, for our inability to provide a natural explanation may simply be due to our ignorance of the operative natural forces. Many phenomena that were once attributed to supernatural beings such as earthquakes, volcanoes, and disease can now be explained in purely natural terms. As St. Augustine realized, apparent miracles are not contrary to nature but contrary to our knowledge of nature.8

Given the inherent inferiority of supernatural explanations and the incompleteness of our knowledge, theists would be justified in offering a supernatural explanation for a phenomenon only if they could prove that it is in principle impossible to provide a natural explanation of it. In other words, to undermine the scientific proof for the non-existence of god, theists have to prove an unrestricted negative, namely, that no natural explanation of a phenomenon will be found. And that, I believe, is an unrestricted negative that no theist will ever be able to prove.

============

if u want to participate in this convo please read the whole article.

and yes i made the subject shocking, but its just to catch your attention. i am not saying god does or doesnt exsist.

but this is a sassy look at a reason why a christian god may not be a reasonable logical explanation

so discuss, dont turn into a flame war keep it calm and collected. no one is attacking faiths just discussion. everyoen is entitled to their oppinions

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::

Re: PROOF that god DOES NOT exsist!
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 4:18 PM on j-body.org
Unfortunately, An unrestricted negative cannot be fully proven or disproven.

As such, science cannot prove to the point of being hard fact that God doesn't exist, and conversely, Theists cannot prove to fact that God does...

However, In playing Devil's Advocate (and yes, if hahaha posts i'll take a simlial devil's advocate stance), Science is inherently flawed because it is maly a method for finding out the specifics--the Why, How, What, Where When.

To wit: Science, while being against the idea that ghosts and the paranormal do exist, cannot prove that they don't--regardless of the illogicalness of the belief of such. Conversely, believers cannot prove the existance therof.

As such, and as i posted in the previous thread...There is nothing that can prove God exists, and there's nothing that can prove God doesn't exist.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Re: PROOF that God DOES NOT exist!
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 4:30 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]Unfortunately, An unrestricted negative cannot be fully proven or disproven.

As such, and as i posted in the previous thread...There is nothing that can prove God exists, and there's nothing that can prove God doesn't exist.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 4:58 PM on j-body.org
T2 wrote:[quote=Keeper of the Light™]Unfortunately, An unrestricted negative cannot be fully proven or disproven.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 5:15 PM on j-body.org
.JerseyKid. wrote:
T2 wrote:[quote=Keeper of the Light™]Unfortunately, An unrestricted negative cannot be fully proven or disproven.

X3

Speaking only of science - I agree with the above!
Speaking beyond science, and into the realm of God, science has proven God right, in many things that have been said. Take the quest to account for all of earth's "Time"
Time had been accounted for with the exception of 2 specific points in history. Both missing times were accounted for in the bible when God either turned back the sun, or held back time.
Take the parting of the red sea - physical evidence suggests that, at a point around the same time that the bible suggests the red sea was parted, there was a dry spot. While the exact part of the red sea that was parted is not stated in the bible directly, it can be associated with where the isrealites where fleeing to and from. Physical evidence of the "once dry" spot coincides with the general location.

I could go on and on with this, but I will let all of you explore it on your own, and make a truer meaning of these things....

/me dons the highly flame proof flame suit!
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 6:08 PM on j-body.org
Nathaniel wrote:Consider, for example, the claim that god is all-good and thus both perfectly merciful and perfectly just. If he is perfectly just, he makes sure that everyone gets exactly what's coming to them. If he is perfectly merciful, he let's everyone off. But he can't do both. So the notion of a supreme being may be internally inconsistent.

I'll keep posting in this thread brief...

This is the major inconsistancy that turned me away from religion in the first place.

To expand:

One cannot be all-present and yet have no visible presence. One cannot be all-knowing and not know of his impending demise (Jesus), One cannot be all-powerful and have a counterpart (Devil). Inconsistancies. Fallacies. Lies.

KOTL wrote:There is nothing that can prove God exists, and there's nothing that can prove God doesn't exist.

Historical documentation (what remains today) is based on man's observation of phenomena. An event that occurs that is of a foreign concept (flood, famine, plague, etc.) needs to have some sort of reason. Human nature dictates such. Rather than say "IDK" why not make a grand story out of it and make a few bucks (gold coins, virgins, or whatever the currency of the time is).

To say that a god exists is to base if off of what? A book written by whom?

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 6:57 PM on j-body.org
The basis for most religions is communicated through hermeneutic strategy. Rather than just say "Do this, don't do that", they wrote stories to communicate what happens when people act or think a certain way. These stories were written by people, with the education of the time. If the birth of Christ happened today, the story would read "There was no room at the Ramada, so they had to spend the night at the homeless shelter on 55th and Broadway". Jesus wouldn't have been born in a manger, it would have been on a dirty cot next to the soup kitchen. The three wisemen would have brought travelers checks, a cell phone and a laptop computer with a wi-fi connection. Judas would have sold out Jesus for a new BMW. Jesus wouldn't have been crucified, he would have been given the electric chair by Judge Pontius Pilot. Imagine wearing a small chair on your necklace...

The stories aren't meant to be taken literally, they are lessons to teach acceptable social behavior. Science can disprove every chapter in the Bible and it still doesn't disprove the existance of God.

I have to go with Stephen Hawking on this. If you think of the universe as a massive computer chip without the limits of hard-wired programming, then the universe itself must have a conciousness.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:09 PM on j-body.org
In my honest opinion, we will eventually dive so far into the sciences that it will be hard to prove that God does not exist.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:44 PM on j-body.org
The thing is that look at every single religions or spirits of amerindians or any tribes. They have always invented something that explain the things that they wasn't able to understand.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:50 PM on j-body.org
hmmm sorry for the bad english.. Look like it's getting worst this week

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 8:23 PM on j-body.org
The Chosen One wrote:
Speaking only of science - I agree with the above!
Speaking beyond science, and into the realm of God, science has proven God right, in many things that have been said. Take the quest to account for all of earth's "Time"
Time had been accounted for with the exception of 2 specific points in history. Both missing times were accounted for in the bible when God either turned back the sun, or held back time.
Take the parting of the red sea - physical evidence suggests that, at a point around the same time that the bible suggests the red sea was parted, there was a dry spot. While the exact part of the red sea that was parted is not stated in the bible directly, it can be associated with where the isrealites where fleeing to and from. Physical evidence of the "once dry" spot coincides with the general location.

I could go on and on with this, but I will let all of you explore it on your own, and make a truer meaning of these things....

/me dons the highly flame proof flame suit!

You've just pointed out one of the main beefs I have with organized religion. The bible, along with every other religious text, was NOT written by any God, any diety, or anything even remotely close to being supernatural. They are all books written by people, not a diety, and have been translated and interpreted differently by every theologian to have ever read them.

I'm quite curious to hear where you found mention of this physical evidence of a "dry spot". Coincidence, as anyone knows, does not necessarily equal unequivocal evidence (it may or may not - it takes more than 1 piece of circumstantial evidence to make any kind of plausible theory). Take the creationist interpretation of the Triassic sediments exposed in the Grand Canyon. Those pretty layers of sediments are believed, absolutely, to provide direct evidence of the mythical "Noah's flood". It's just by coincidence that those sediments (along with 98% of all sediments on earth) were deposited by running water. That was fine and dandy for creationist theory, except that these sediments were laid down 180-200 million years before the fossil evidence for the first humans.
In a nutshell - what I'm asking for is the evidence for this dry spot Have there been any scientific studies on this "dry spot" that provide evidence that this "dry spot" was created during human times (ie, let's say within the past 15000 years)? Even though geologically instantanious, something that recent and of that magnitude should have left alot of evidence, but I seriously doubt that any of it would be in any way related to any kind of "dry spot". Ripped up sediments, tsunami deposits (displaced water has to go somewhere), and extreme linear scouring (provided Moses' path was linear as he walked over muddy sea sediments) would be decent evidence of this event; dessication of sea sediments is extraordinarily unlikely (especially since any dessication evidence would likely be completely obliterated by the hundreds of meters of sea water that would have obviously roared in after Moses' and his crew had passed). From my understanding of that story (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that Moses and his people were almost at the point of being overtaken when they reached the Red Sea. If their pursuers were right on their heels, how on earth would the wet, muddy sea-lain sediments have time to dry and leave evidence of a dry sea floor in the matter of seconds or a couple of minutes?

When you have the answers to my questions, please let me know.

The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 8:27 PM on j-body.org
I am GOD, now STFU

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:01 PM on j-body.org
2 things...

What about Mithraism? Virgin birth, crucifixion, a resurrection, all predating Jesus by 2000 years or more.

and my most favorite quote:

If this being is omnipotent, then every occurrence, including every human action, every human thought, and every human feeling and aspiration is also His work; how is it possible to think of holding men responsible for their deeds and thoughts before such an almighty Being? In giving out punishment and rewards He would to a certain
extent be passing judgment on Himself. How can this be combined with the goodness and righteousness ascribed to Him?
-Albert Einstein

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:13 PM on j-body.org
the bible was wroted by Peter Jackson ancestors....

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:37 PM on j-body.org
I don't have much to offer to this thread. But I'd like people to keep in mind that EVERY world conflict; every war, every terrorist act has been a result of differing religious beliefs.

Religion is the downfall of society. It may seem to bring people together, but it does no more than bring together people of common belief. Among differing religions, it causes nothing but violence and hatred.

Keep the $0.02

Re: Don't make me laugh
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 3:22 AM on j-body.org
I'm a man of the ONLY REAL LOGIC - mathematical logic - As such I'm also a man of science. As a result of my logic I'm also a man who thinks that Intelligent Creation is far more logical than some of the stuff that passes for "science" and as "scientific evidence." And I'm a man who is going to have fun with this...

Quote:

Can Science Prove that God Does Not Exist?
"No one can prove an unrestricted negative" is the reply usually given to those who claim that science can prove that God does not exist. An unrestricted negative is a claim to the effect that something doesn't exist anywhere. Since no one can exhaustively examine every place in the universe, the reply goes, no one can conclusively establish the non-existence of anything.
The principle that no one can prove an unrestricted negative, however, is itself an unrestricted negative. It says, in effect, that there are no proofs of unrestricted negatives. But, if there are no proofs of unrestricted negatives, then no one can prove that no one can prove an unrestricted negative. And if no one can prove that no one can prove an unrestricted negative, then it must be logically possible to prove an unrestricted negative. So the claim that no one can prove a universal negative is self-refuting-if it's true, it's false. What I intend to show here is not only that unrestricted negatives can be proven, but that a number of them have been proven.

Parmenides realized over 2,500 years ago that anything that involves a logical contradiction cannot exist. We know that there are no married bachelors, no square circles, and no largest number because these notions are self-contradictory. They violate the most fundamental law of logic-the law of noncontradiction-which says that nothing can both have a property and lack it at the same time. So one way to prove a universal negative is to show that the notion of a thing is inconsistent.

To prove that God does not exist, then, one only has to demonstrate that the concept of God is inconsistent. Traditional theism defines God as a supreme being-a being than which none greater can be conceived, as St. Anselm would have it. We know, however, that there is no supreme number because such a notion involves a logical contradiction. Every number is such that the number 1 can be added to it. If there were a supreme number, it would be such that the number 1 can and cannot be added to it, and that's impossible. Many believe that the notion of a supreme being is just as incoherent as the notion of a supreme number.

Consider, for example, the claim that god is all-good and thus both perfectly merciful and perfectly just. If he is perfectly just, he makes sure that everyone gets exactly what's coming to them. If he is perfectly merciful, he let's everyone off. But he can't do both. So the notion of a supreme being may be internally inconsistent.

This is just one of many inconsistencies that have been found in the traditional concept of God. For a more complete review of them, see Theodore Drange, "Incompatible-Properties Arguments: A Survey" in Philo (Fall/Winter 1998). Theists, of course, will claim that, properly understood, there is no contradiction. What if they're right? What if it's logically possible for the God of traditional theism to exist? Does that mean that one cannot prove that he does not exist? No, for in order to prove that something does not exist, one need not show that it is logically impossible. One need only show is that it is epistemically unnecessary-that it is not required to explain anything. Science has proven the non-existence of many things in this way, such as phlogiston, the luminiferous ether, and the planet Vulcan. Scientific proofs, unlike logical proofs, do not establish their conclusions beyond any possibility of doubt. But they are proofs nonetheless, for they establish their conclusions beyond a reasonable doubt and that is all that is needed to justify them.

Phlogiston, the luminiferous ether, and the planet Vulcan are theoretical entities that were postulated in order to explain various phenomena. Phlogiston was postulated to explain heat, the luminiferous ether was postulated to explain the propagation of light waves through empty space, and Vulcan was postulated to explain the perturbations in the orbit of Mercury. Science has shown, however, that these phenomena can be explained without invoking these entities. By demonstrating that these entities are not needed to explain anything, science has proven that they do not exist.

God is a theoretical entity that is postulated by theists to explain various phenomena, such as the origin of the universe, the design of the universe, and the origin of living things. Modern science, however, can explain all of these phenomena without postulating the existence of God.1 In the words of Laplace, science has no need of that hypothesis.2 By demonstrating that God is not needed to explain anything, science has proven that there is no more reason to believe in the existence of God than to believe in the existence of phlogiston, the luminiferous ether, or Vulcan. This may explain why more than 90% of the world's top scientists disbelieve or doubt the existence of God.3

Scientists prefer natural explanations to supernatural ones, not because of any metaphysical bias on their part, but because natural explanations produce more understanding than supernatural ones. As Plato realized, to say that God did it is not to explain anything, but simply to offer an excuse for not having an explanation.4

The goodness of an explanation is determined by how much understanding it produces, and the amount of understanding produced by an explanation is determined by how well it systematizes and unifies our knowledge. The extent to which an explanation systematizes and unifies our knowledge can be measured by various criteria of adequacy such as simplicity (the number of assumptions made), scope (the types of phenomena explained), conservatism (fit with existing theory), and fruitfulness (ability to make successful novel predictions).

Supernatural explanations are inherently inferior to natural ones because they do not meet the criteria of adequacy as well. For example, they are usually less simple because they assume the existence of at least one additional type of entity. They usually have less scope because they don't explain how the phenomena in question are produced and thus they raise more questions than they answer. They are usually less conservative because they imply that certain natural laws have been violated. And they are usually less fruitful because they don't make any novel predictions. That is why scientists avoid them.

The realization that the traditional God of theism is not needed to explain anything-that there is nothing for him to do-has led a number of theologians to call for the rejection of this notion of god. In Why Believe in God? Michael Donald Goulder argues that the only intellectually respectable position on the god question is atheism.5 In Why Christianity Must Change or Die, Reverend Spong, former Episcopal Bishop of New Jersey, argues that the traditional theistic conception of God must be replaced by one grounded in human relationships and concerns.6 Both agree with Stephen J. Gould that religion should not be in the business of trying to explain the world.7

What if there was no plausible natural explanation for some phenomena? Would that justify the claim that god caused it? No, for our inability to provide a natural explanation may simply be due to our ignorance of the operative natural forces. Many phenomena that were once attributed to supernatural beings such as earthquakes, volcanoes, and disease can now be explained in purely natural terms. As St. Augustine realized, apparent miracles are not contrary to nature but contrary to our knowledge of nature.8

Given the inherent inferiority of supernatural explanations and the incompleteness of our knowledge, theists would be justified in offering a supernatural explanation for a phenomenon only if they could prove that it is in principle impossible to provide a natural explanation of it. In other words, to undermine the scientific proof for the non-existence of god, theists have to prove an unrestricted negative, namely, that no natural explanation of a phenomenon will be found. And that, I believe, is an unrestricted negative that no theist will ever be able to prove.

To start I need people to understand the differences between a few concepts and the implications on anything you think or believe...

OPINION:a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty
FACT: a concept whose truth can be proved

EVIDENCE : your basis for belief or disbelief; knowledge on which to base belief
PROOF: any factual evidence that helps to establish the truth of something

Until something is PROVEN, if you believe it(religious, scientific, or other) then you ARE "taking it on faith." Don't kid yourself into thinking you "know" anything unless it IS ALREADY PROVEN.

Quote:

Parmenides realized over 2,500 years ago that anything that involves a logical contradiction cannot exist. We know that there are no married bachelors, no square circles, and no largest number because these notions are self-contradictory. They violate the most fundamental law of logic-the law of noncontradiction-which says that nothing can both have a property and lack it at the same time.( opinion--> ) So one way to prove a universal negative is to show that the notion of a thing is inconsistent.

"They violate the most fundamental law of logic-the law of noncontradiction-which says that nothing can both have a property and lack it at the same time" - First off, the most fundamental law of logic is MATHEMATICAL LAW. The law of non-contradiction is a mathematical law and since a piece cannot be greater than the whole, the law of noncontradiction cannot be the fundamental law of logic.

Also he is excluding one very real possibility, that perhaps the different variations of word of God have been (accidentally and/or intentionally) changed from their original form. That in itself is quite illogical. It's like playing a game of telephone with the defendant's testimony in a court of law - and getting a conviction based off of the last man in the chain declaring that the defendant admitted to murder.

Quote:

See what I wrote above. Is the Bible supposed to be the word of God given to men, or the word of St. Anselm?! The author is proposing that since St. Anselm is proposing something he feels is impossible(when he mistranslates what M.C. Anselm wrote to say that God = X = any finite number, and X > infinity).

Who says God is a finite number anyways? MAYBE(opinion not fact) God = infinity aka God is not definable as a finite number but rather an irrational number aka unsolvable formula. IF that is the case then what M.C. Anselm wrote is true since no number is greater than infinity. If you want to say that infinity is impossible in anything real, then show me where the end of the universe is. You can show me where in the universe is not occupied, but you cannot define the end of space. There is nothing (aka the absence of anything). There and there is no limit to nothing because there is no limit to the size of nothing.

Also consider that pi can only be 100% accurately defined as an irrational number aka unsolvable formula (you will be calculating forever - always getting more accurate but never 100 and therefore cannot truly be defined as a number. 3.14 is a estimate - a poor estimate.

Quote:

100% opinion. "Perfectly just" and "perfectly merciful" are subjective, and the author is just subjecting them to his opinion. Who says "perfectly just" means that everyone gets punished and "perfectly merciful" means everyone gets let off the hook. In our world sometimes murderers don't get caught until 60 years after the fact, but for 60 years they thought they got away scot-free.

Considering that Christians, Jews, Muslims, and many other religions believe in an afterlife. Hindus believe in reincarnation where as your deeds as a human influence what creature you are reborn as. ASSUMING that any one religion is right, or even just assuming that for any unknown/unimagined reason, that death is not the end, who is to say that anyone gets off scot-free ever. Just punishment or reward could be administered well after death. Equally someone could be forgiven (based off of a just system of measure) for what they have done, and this also could be administered after death maybe even after a certain degree of punishment has been delivered. But forgiveness is not a "freebie". This is covered in the Bible thoroughly(and is just as thoroughly ignored by most "Christians" lol) but since I'm not trying to preach a sermon, I'm not going over that now.

Quote:

Well the author picked out some bad examples to praise science with. Makes my job way easier though

Luminiferous aether - Isaac Newton - scientific theory about light and heat later proven wrong

planet Vulcan - French mathematician Urbain Le Verrier - theoretical planet based only on calculus calculations - later proven not to exist.

Phlogiston - old scientific theory regarding combustion later proven wrong
All of these had "evidence" and they gave a potential alternative to religious theories.

Looking at these theories now they do seem rather silly but based on information available at the time they where viable and mostly considered to be fact by the scientific community.

He forgot one though - the pure atheist's "Darwinian evolution"(bad term since Darwin believed in God) - The current favorite THEORY(not FACT until 100% proven) with insufficient evidence and no proof(evidence is NOT proof - see definition above). Lets see here TONS of missing information and lack of PROOF(not evidence). They say it will be proven in time(exactly what Bush said about the Iraq WMD - lol). Until then atheist must "take it on faith" - LOL.

Don't get me wrong I do believe in evolution just I don't think it is 100% random. Christianity has just as much(maybe more) evidence as Atheism. No PROOF either way and people need to realize that NOW. But people on both sides tend to focus on what supports what they believe is true and dismiss what doesn't fit their point of view. This is also VERY true of politics as well.

Quote:

God is a theoretical entity that is postulated by theists to explain various phenomena, such as the origin of the universe, the design of the universe, and the origin of living things.
- opinion. Sort of self-serving evidence. Kind of like how Liberals are wrong because I have conservative views. LOL

Quote:

Modern science, however, can explain all of these phenomena without postulating the existence of God.
Correct - they postulate other theories. Kind of like how ancient religion X and Religion Y give alternative theories to Christianity. See point directly above.

Quote:

1 In the words of Laplace, science has no need of that hypothesis.2 By demonstrating that God is not needed to explain anything, science has proven that there is no more reason to believe in the existence of God than to believe in the existence of phlogiston, the luminiferous ether, or Vulcan. This may explain why more than 90% of the world's top scientists disbelieve or doubt the existence of God.3

full of opinion. "that God is not needed to explain anything" - and the point is? Having an alternative doesn't mean you are correct.

By the author's logic - having the Spaghetti Monster alternative means there is no reason to believe in science - as long as if offers an alternative explanation then we don't need science - LOL.

"This may explain why more than 90% of the world's top scientists disbelieve or doubt the existence of God" - Playing the numbers game? Doesn't Christianity use their "majority of the world population is Christian" argument as "evidence" that it is they are right?! LOL this only gets better the more I read. PLUS - the author is inflating the stat by adding people who are uncertain - to those who are actually dedicated atheist. Those who admit they aren't really certain get my intellectual respect. "A wise man is someone who realizes there is much he does not know."

Quote:

That applies to many ancient religions - not Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and probably others. These do NOT attempt to explain every thing that is hard to understand. On the contrary there are no "fiery chariot" aka the sun theories in the Bible for example. Contrary to most other religions which where the result of early man explaining the unknown, Christianity leaves more questions than it answers. That is 100% inconsistent with a artificial belief system created to do explain the unknown. So that common atheist theory - when applied to Christianity - falls victim to "the law of non-contradiction."

Quote:

I disagree. The worth of an explanation is determined by one factor - how accurate it is. SInce we lack complete knowledge of all things, we can only estimate this in terms of feasibility and probability. But these measurements are only so good. Beside the fact we can only determine the probability of something based solely off of our limited knowledge at hand - there is the inherent flaw in probability as a whole.

A theory(despite being religious or scientific) is either true or it is false. Almost doesn't cut it. Nothing is perhaps more dangerous or destructive than a partial truth. The probability of there being a God means NOTHING no matter how low or high you think those chances are. There either IS or IS NOT a God. Period. Just because you think there is not one does not mean there is not. Equally me believing there is does not mean there is. Like most things, that is a 2 - way street.

Fact is there are just as big gaping holes in the evolution theory as there are in Christianity(mostly due to having not attempted to explain many things). Funny thing that most people are so self-assuredly blind in their beliefs to see that they can fit together to fill the holes.

Quote:

First off this is also 99% opinion. The only valid point was "because they don't explain how the phenomena in question are produced and thus they raise more questions than they answer." That is true. There is no explanation as to why god exist, nor is there an attempt to answer that question. Can I have an explanation as to where the hell the "super-atom" came from?!(well I think I came from God - but what is the atheist explanation?) And then where did (whatever the "super-atom" came from) come from? I see NO adequacy advantage to the atheist solution.

Furthermore assuming that the contents of the Bible where originally given from God(As I believe - although I think they where probably mistranslated and changed for personal power reasons), you must consider that God would have been giving his word to a far more primitive man. Think about it. How would you explain the universe's physics to a 5 year old? Major dumbing down. Plus you may be more concerned with showing your child how to live. Like trying to tell stories to get across a point. Take circumcism. Just another zany commandment? Until recent hygiene advancements made it less necessary, this prevented a LOT of infections in that area. Sounds zany but it had a real purpose.

Quote:

LOL no opinions here. "In Why Believe in God? Michael Donald Goulder argues that the only intellectually respectable position on the god question is atheism" - good for him. A republican argues that the only respectable position on politics is on the right wing agenda platform. A Democrat argues that the only respectable position on politics is on the left wing agenda platform. So him saying that makes him correct? LOL.

Quote:

Using the examples of "Phlogiston, the luminiferous ether, and the planet Vulcan" as provided above - I demonstrated that science has also attributed natural phenomena to false theories. The only difference is that there where no "gods," but there where other make-believe concepts like phlogiston(a weightless, colorless, and scentless substance which all flammable substances where once thought to have - later proven non-existent). Some where just as fantastic and far-fetched as any Greek legend.

Quote:

cough(baseless opinion)cough

Some proof the author has there. I wish the cure for cancer was so easy. Lets pick a chemical with a name that sounds good, something we hope has a good chance, theorise that is a cure for all things(We'll have faith that it isn't hazardous), and prove its works later.

Don't get me wrong I fully believe in science(REAL science). But honestly much of that gaping hole theory isn't scientific at all. I think the author summarized the main problem rather nicely right here -
Quote:

Scientific proofs, unlike logical proofs, do not establish their conclusions beyond any possibility of doubt. But they are proofs nonetheless, for they establish their conclusions beyond a reasonable doubt and that is all that is needed to justify them.
Quote:

Yep that states the problem perfectly. It amazes me that isn't seen as a problem.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 4:50 AM on j-body.org
jesus is real. me and jesus use to hang out back in the day. what a guy, let me tell you. good friend to have when your under 21 i can tell you that.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 5:29 AM on j-body.org

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:04 AM on j-body.org
Ok first let me just say my head hurts now so thank you very much ! Secondly !
To the nth power !!

Heres where all of that is meaningless. God created man, man created science to explain things we come in contact with, the things we come in contact with are here by Gods will. How then can we hope to explain something that we can not comprehend ?
Someone here asked before as to how God has always been and will always be. The answer is very simple, we can not fathom the infinite with our finite minds. In our realm of being everything has a beginning and an end. God does not live within our realm of being so our rules do not apply to him. In the end yes is all about faith and that can never be proved or dis-proved so the whole argument is moot.

There I hope that cleared it all up for you nicely, have a great day.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:17 AM on j-body.org
Very well said Jack. I am a firm believer, no matter what anyone else believes I'm going to hold dear to my heart what I KNOW as the truth to myself. "I'd rather live like there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live there isn't a God and find out there is."

"Hell to me is finding out the truth, too late"

"Speak the truth, and leave immediately after"
"The urge to save Humanity is almost ALWAYS a false front for the urge to rule"
"He who knoweth things as they are and not as they are said or seem to be, he truly is wise, and is taught of God more than of men."
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:22 AM on j-body.org
Right back at you Chamillionaire! I'd much rather live like there is a God and find out there isn't then the other way around myself. Personily I always liked the bumper sticker that goes " If your living like there is no God then you better pray you right "
But I'm sure our couple posts will get panties in a twist.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:27 AM on j-body.org
I believe in life.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:39 AM on j-body.org
And then.....

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:43 AM on j-body.org
I would believe in mother nature before believing in god...

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:49 AM on j-body.org
I'm not telling you what to believe in I'm just asking you what happens afterwards?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search