Right Makes Might? How the GOP is surrendering to extremism - Page 4 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Right Makes Might? How the GOP is surrendering to extremism
Friday, December 11, 2009 4:27 PM on j-body.org
The entire premise of this thread is that they need to move toward the middle. You've said it in various ways throughout it. You've also stated that they are extreme, which I contend is a false impression, because they're more left these days than they have been in a long time, so when anyone starts moving back to where they were, it's now called moving extreme right.

Friday, December 11, 2009 4:31 PM on j-body.org
Hmmm. Well, the Title of the thread is about the move away from the middle, towards the extreme right, that I find alarming. Not so much because I dislike extremists (hey, we all need someone to point and laugh at!),

The Content of the thread has been inclusive of how they might stem this shift, and move back to where they were. This would be, at least slightly, a move towards the middle. If while doing so, they can attract more moderates into their camp, it could be a winning formula.

I just deplore the idea of a weak Republican Party. They are absolutely essential to stopping monopolistic politics.

Friday, December 11, 2009 11:19 PM on j-body.org
Bill, show me in the last 20-30 years where republicans (as a whole) were more liberal )moderate( than they are now......back to where they were....as you said.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Friday, December 11, 2009 11:58 PM on j-body.org
What I feel is the problem is a disturbing (IMO) amount af ultra-conservative drum beating. FOX news is awesome, but...I fear its popularity points at a larger problem. The great ratings battle has swung in their favor, but the corollary damage could be bad. Is the cure sometimes worse than the disease?

In many ways, the current ultraconservative movement has signed on to Tabloid Politics. It's easy to sway people with salacious, sensational reporting, but where's the substantive, realistic stuff that can actually solve problems? As a tactic, this method of rabble-rousing is, at best, a short-lived solution. The masses may be asses, but they don't take kindly to being manipulated either.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 7:12 AM on j-body.org
I'll ask it again.

"Bill, show me in the last 20-30 years where republicans (as a whole) were more liberal )moderate( than they are now......back to where they were....as you said."

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:51 PM on j-body.org
I'll answer it again, in different phrasing to aid in comprehension:

The overall makeup of the party has come to include a very vocal far right contingent that's been becoming more and more visible in the past decade. For middle-roaders like me, this gives the impression that the party has swung farther to the right.

The "back to where they were" part describes moving back to where they were before this recent swing to the right. It's my impression that were they to do so, they could attract more middle-roaders and gain the votes needed to win at the polls next go.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:59 PM on j-body.org
how do you not @!#$ get it? there has been no "swing to the right." the republican party is more center than its ever been and its obviously not working.

Check out my build thread!

Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:54 PM on j-body.org
OK, I'll give your notion the benefit of the doubt. Let's expound on it a bit...

You think the Republican Party has shifted instead closer to the middle. So any news article that says it's instead moved towards the right is, in your belief, incorrect?

Can you provide some research results to support that hypothesis?

Saturday, December 12, 2009 11:18 PM on j-body.org
for starters, the 2008 election.

McCain was:
pro-amnesty, expanded guest worker program
on the fence about abortion
wanted expanded prescription drug coverage under medicare
pro-cloning/ stem cell research

just to name a few.

along with the recent change in GOP platform regarding gay marriage.

now, please show me how they've been moving further to the right? this will be good.

Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:28 AM on j-body.org
Bill, since you are one of the biggest outcriers of bias when articles are posted, couldn't you have come up with some better sources? I mean, really, a book review and an article on a guy with the backbone of an amoeba?

I got a bit of a chuckle when reading the one about the book by Lowi, when you read the pros and cons: "Con: Some aspects are out of date"

The Specter article is a complete joke. He jumped ship when he realized he was going to lose the primary to his challenger. The spin he put on it is nothing less than political posturing. Remember, this is the second time he has done it, and for the exact same reasons. Also, the notion that the Republican party is moving extreme right because only 3 of them supported the massive liberal spending monstrosity pushed by Obama, Pelosi, and Reid is hilarious.

What I would really like to hear, is for you give some specific policies they are touting that is either new or extreme in your eyes.

Sunday, December 13, 2009 11:18 AM on j-body.org
LOL @ the first source coming from an agnostic/atheism section of about.com. Nice work! Especially for someone who cries "biased source" at everthing.

Sunday, December 13, 2009 2:27 PM on j-body.org
Well, hehe...do you think I will find a right-wing source that plays this info? Seeing as that's all you good folks use and/or read...

Sunday, December 13, 2009 2:29 PM on j-body.org
RuggedZ wrote:LOL @ the first source coming from an agnostic/atheism section of about.com. Nice work! Especially for someone who cries "biased source" at everthing.

Wait. How is that "politically biased"? That's about RELIGION, lol...

Sunday, December 13, 2009 2:47 PM on j-body.org
Sunday, December 13, 2009 2:59 PM on j-body.org
Moderate Voice of the People wrote:
RuggedZ wrote:LOL @ the first source coming from an agnostic/atheism section of about.com. Nice work! Especially for someone who cries "biased source" at everthing.

Wait. How is that "politically biased"? That's about RELIGION, lol...

yeah, the article's about how the CHRISTIAN right is ruining the party. nice try though.

Sunday, December 13, 2009 3:06 PM on j-body.org
So, you are saying the Christian right is irrelevant? Or that atheists automatically revile anything associated with religion? Work with me here, I'm not following this tack...

Sunday, December 13, 2009 3:07 PM on j-body.org
Moderate Voice of the People wrote:Can GOP Gubernatorial Candidates swing back from hard right?

Retirements push GOP to the right

neither of these are @!#$ facts, its all opinion. show some specific examples of how the GOP is so far to the right.

Sunday, December 13, 2009 3:12 PM on j-body.org
Well, in ideology, true proof is hard to come by. I could use your help here...what method of "proof" would you find sufficient?

The problem, as I see it, is also in perception. As extreme-right loudmouths keep cluttering the airwaves with combative calls to arms. the American public is increasingly convinced that the right swing described in these articles is acually happening.

What will you folks do to change their minds?

Sunday, December 13, 2009 3:25 PM on j-body.org
well you asked for proof that the GOP is more moderate than ever, so the same should be asked of you, to provide factual proof that the GOP is hard right.

Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:06 PM on j-body.org
I really would not know how to prove that via stats or something you'd consider unbiased.

However, and this is the point that matters: I'm already convinced by what I've seen, and if the party's not shifted further right as evidenced by the huge growth in rightoric and conservatism coming from its direction, then they've been truly misperceived, for it would appear that many of the American public agree they've shifted right too.

So, you would tell me that all the far-right grandstanding that goes on these days, coming after the Bush II reign of terror about terror; all of this is NOT evidence of a shift further right over time, that it all actually means the party has shifted left? Huh?

It seems to have been growing since the Reagan era, as supported by the prescient book by Lowi.

Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:31 PM on j-body.org
if the gop was moving further to the right, i don't think we'd see near the massive spending from congress.

/thread.

Sunday, December 13, 2009 5:21 PM on j-body.org
Misinformation Peddler wrote:...What I would really like to hear, is for you give some specific policies they are touting that is either new or extreme in your eyes.
Seems posting more links to commentary are your only tactic here. You have no substance regarding your claims, all you have is the opinions of various editorial columnists, and writers.

This whole thread is one big facepalm. Nice work.

Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:04 PM on j-body.org
Moderate Voice of the People wrote:So, you would tell me that all the far-right grandstanding that goes on these days, coming after the Bush II reign of terror about terror; all of this is NOT evidence of a shift further right over time, that it all actually means the party has shifted left? Huh?

Miss Ped, can you curtail the character assassination crusade long enough to address the above point?

Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:09 PM on j-body.org
I don't care if you quote facts from a James carville manifesto, as long as they a strict facts.

You may perceive a shift to the right because of the explosion of right leaning blogs and e-papers, but that isn't proof that the party is shifting right.

What would be a suitable moderate republican for you Bill?

Tell me what you think his/her/shims pixies should be?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search