Another Email I got. - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Another Email I got.
Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:16 AM on j-body.org
^werd....wasn't there a record broken for money NOT put into savings accounts last year?

Brian

Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:26 AM on j-body.org
J03Y wrote:
ThatGuy85 wrote:

1) I don't spend all my money I save it. Isn't this how the economy started to downturn in the first place? No one was buying anything, everyone was saving everything they have. Businesses can't profit if no one is buying their stuff. Please explain to me, political prodigy, how this helps the economy?

Really? This is what you believe started the economy on the down swing? Have you been paying attention to anything the past few years?

You're right, it's not what started it and I should have worded that differently. However what I said after that is still true. A business can't survive if no one buys their stuff.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:27 AM on j-body.org
Not positive...don't have any facts to back that up, but it certainly would not suprose me at all. I'd like to see data on that for the past 10 years. That could be real interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:28 AM

Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:30 AM on j-body.org
ThatGuy85 wrote:
J03Y wrote:
ThatGuy85 wrote:

1) I don't spend all my money I save it. Isn't this how the economy started to downturn in the first place? No one was buying anything, everyone was saving everything they have. Businesses can't profit if no one is buying their stuff. Please explain to me, political prodigy, how this helps the economy?

Really? This is what you believe started the economy on the down swing? Have you been paying attention to anything the past few years?

You're right, it's not what started it and I should have worded that differently. However what I said after that is still true. A business can't survive if no one buys their stuff.

So, why should we feel obligated to go out and spend money. THAT is what got us in this problem.

You're walking the same line as our current administration....SPEND SPEND SPEND, that will fix it all!

Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:43 AM on j-body.org
J03Y wrote:
ThatGuy85 wrote:
J03Y wrote:
ThatGuy85 wrote:

So, why should we feel obligated to go out and spend money. THAT is what got us in this problem.

You're walking the same line as our current administration....SPEND SPEND SPEND, that will fix it all!

Who's obligating you? You can sit on your money all you want. But what does that do?

I'm not saying we have to all go out and buy pointless trinkets in the hopes that our 12.50 steak will fix the economy overnight. But everyone's respective asscheeks are so tightly squeezed together I could shove a piece of coal in there and have a diamond in a week. What I'm doing is being a little more discretionary about my spending. Why go to wal-mart when I could buy from local stores and support the economy of my town?

Delaware county (where I currently reside) has the lowest unemployment rate in all of Ohio. I'm not foolish enough to think that this is purely because of me, but perhaps there are a lot more people like me in this town, and the cycle of spending is a little more balanced here than it is elsewhere in the state.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:03 AM on j-body.org
J03Y wrote:
ThatGuy85 wrote:

Downswing started back in the late 90's. There was lots of spending back then.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:08 AM on j-body.org
ThatGuy85 wrote:What I'm doing is being a little more discretionary about my spending. Why go to wal-mart when I could buy from local stores and support the economy of my town?

I do this. Everyone should try to do this. I find myself frequenting local businesses more and more often lately to do my part in keeping my local economy afloat. At places like hardware stores for example, paying a few cents more per 2x4 or a couple extra bucks per gallon of paint makes more of a difference than you may think.

Brian

Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:14 AM on j-body.org
ThatGuy85 wrote:
J03Y wrote:
ThatGuy85 wrote:
J03Y wrote:
ThatGuy85 wrote:

Who's obligating you? You can sit on your money all you want. But what does that do?

I'm not saying we have to all go out and buy pointless trinkets in the hopes that our 12.50 steak will fix the economy overnight. But everyone's respective asscheeks are so tightly squeezed together I could shove a piece of coal in there and have a diamond in a week. What I'm doing is being a little more discretionary about my spending. Why go to wal-mart when I could buy from local stores and support the economy of my town?

Delaware county (where I currently reside) has the lowest unemployment rate in all of Ohio. I'm not foolish enough to think that this is purely because of me, but perhaps there are a lot more people like me in this town, and the cycle of spending is a little more balanced here than it is elsewhere in the state.

What is sitiing on my money doing? Uhhh, how about collecting interest. Gaining wealth.

As far as your "local stores", I'd love to see the products those stores sell. I'm sure they are all US made or locally made(/sarcasm).

ps - "But everyone's respective asscheeks are so tightly squeezed together I could shove a piece of coal in there and have a diamond in a week."

this made me lol.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:37 AM on j-body.org
J03Y wrote:
What is sitiing on my money doing? Uhhh, how about collecting interest. Gaining wealth.

I don't know what your interest rate is, but mine is like 0.01%. If yours is higher and you're actually making more than a few cents a year, then kudo's man.

Quote:

As far as your "local stores", I'd love to see the products those stores sell. I'm sure they are all US made or locally made(/sarcasm).

Doesn't matter where they are made. The money from buying the goods are going into the pockets of small business owners instead of the drop of water in a pool to multimillion dollar franchises.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:50 AM on j-body.org
ThatGuy85 wrote:
J03Y wrote:

I don't know what your interest rate is, but mine is like 0.01%. If yours is higher and you're actually making more than a few cents a year, then kudo's man.

Quote:

Doesn't matter where they are made. The money from buying the goods are going into the pockets of small business owners instead of the drop of water in a pool to multimillion dollar franchises.

.01% ??? I hope that is an exageration. I'm making quite a bit of money from investing, even in the current economy.

And how does it not matter that the products are still coming from the same place? So you support your local businesses, but not US products? You'll buy foreign products at a higher cost from a local store rather than another store that can supply it cheaper? Sounds pretty ass backwards to me. But, do as you will. I'm not here to tell you how/where to spend your money.

Everyone is so fixated on "these million dollar companies" like they're so terrible. News flash, those companies are why our economy has grown so much. It's called capitalism, you know, that our country was founded on.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:51 AM on j-body.org
J03Y wrote:.01% ??? I hope that is an exageration. I'm making quite a bit of money from investing, even in the current economy.

Unfortunately, it's not. :-( I bank with chase, and that's the interest rate on my savings account. Where do you bank?

Quote:

And how does it not matter that the products are still coming from the same place? So you support your local businesses, but not US products? You'll buy foreign products at a higher cost from a local store rather than another store that can supply it cheaper? Sounds pretty ass backwards to me. But, do as you will. I'm not here to tell you how/where to spend your money.

You're taking my point about buying locally and transforming it into another debate entirely. Besides, almost everything we buy is made in china anyways. How can I buy American if all the manufacturing jobs for these goods are being shipped overseas for cheaper labor? Remember that little debate we had?

Quote:

Everyone is so fixated on "these million dollar companies" like they're so terrible. News flash, those companies are why our economy has grown so much. It's called capitalism, you know, that our country was founded on.

I never said they are terrible. My analogy was that my money matters more to a small family owned business than it does to a bigger corporation.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:07 AM on j-body.org
ThatGuy85 wrote:Unfortunately, it's not. :-( I bank with chase, and that's the interest rate on my savings account. Where do you bank?

Jesus dude, that's terrible. I'll shoot you a PM on my banking points.

Quote:

You're taking my point about buying locally and transforming it into another debate entirely. Besides, almost everything we buy is made in china anyways. How can I buy American if all the manufacturing jobs for these goods are being shipped overseas for cheaper labor? Remember that little debate we had?

I never said they are terrible. My analogy was that my money matters more to a small family owned business than it does to a bigger corporation.

Ok, we're running in circles here.

Do you know why most of the things we buy are from China? Because that's who lends us the damn money for all these years. The agreement was we buy their goods, they lend us money(in layman terms). So going back to where myself and you started going back and forth.....about the saving of money vs. the over-spending of money, we have been overspending for decades. And our overspending is what got us into taking in all these foreign imports. So we could borrow more money to spend. See the cycle here.

If we would have not been spending so much all these years, and taking out loans(us citizens and the govt) we would not have needed to borrow money from China, which in turn we would not have had to agree to taking in their goods at such a high rate. This was the beginning of cheap labor, and offshoring work.

It's all interconnected.

Also, as to spending in the local shops......how many people do those local shops employ? Now compare it to how many people that evil multi-million dollar company employs.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:46 AM on j-body.org
ThatGuy85 wrote:You're taking my point about buying locally and transforming it into another debate entirely. Besides, almost everything we buy is made in china anyways. How can I buy American if all the manufacturing jobs for these goods are being shipped overseas for cheaper labor? Remember that little debate we had?

Also, just to follow up to this......Obama's online "town hall" he was asked "Are you still planning on penalizing the big business execs who take US jobs out of the country?"

And his answer was no, because most of those jobs would not be a sufficient wage for people to live off in the US. Even Obama understands the benefit of offshoring.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:00 PM on j-body.org
J03Y wrote:Also, just to follow up to this......Obama's online "town hall" he was asked "Are you still planning on penalizing the big business execs who take US jobs out of the country?"
And his answer was no, because most of those jobs would not be a sufficient wage for people to live off in the US. Even Obama understands the benefit of offshoring.
That's sad. More and more of his campaign's points being thrown out the window.
Do people seriously think the unemployed would rather make nothing than $3/hr? Unemployment comp only lasts a year right?

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:20 PM on j-body.org
OHV notec wrote:
J03Y wrote:Also, just to follow up to this......Obama's online "town hall" he was asked "Are you still planning on penalizing the big business execs who take US jobs out of the country?"
That's sad. More and more of his campaign's points being thrown out the window.
Do people seriously think the unemployed would rather make nothing than $3/hr? Unemployment comp only lasts a year right?

Sadly, I think there is a very big population that would rather sit home and do nothing, yet collect a check of others money, as opposed to going out and earning it.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:00 PM on j-body.org
I heard that question from his Town Hall Meeting, and his response was disgusting.

He basicly said that most of the outsourced jobs wouldn't be coming back, and that we really don't want them back anyway, because they couldn't pay enough for them and have the company still remain competitive. Hows that for double talk? Also, you should be able to read between the lines and realize that what he's talking about are jobs that don't have unions associated with them. He wants more jobs that unions can get into, so they keep pumping the money his way.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 5:19 PM on j-body.org
Wonder how our LOCAL economy would be

WITH OUT NAFTA!

hm

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Thursday, April 02, 2009 5:19 AM on j-body.org
^^^repealing NAFTA isn't the answer.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 8:13 PM on j-body.org
Why, because then we would make FEDERAL INCOME(Import Tax), as per the US Constitution, and bring more BUSINESS to the US?

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Friday, April 03, 2009 5:15 AM on j-body.org
You certainly would not bring more business to the US. If anything, you would drive it away.

But we've already had a long debate on this, so I don't plan to start repeating it.

Friday, April 03, 2009 12:20 PM on j-body.org
J03Y wrote:You certainly would not bring more business to the US. If anything, you would drive it away.
But we've already had a long debate on this, so I don't plan to start repeating it.
Link to debate? I'm actually with Taetsch on this one. Free trade agreements led to the exportation of US businesses, why would repealing the agreements not bring them back?

Friday, April 03, 2009 12:38 PM on j-body.org
Again, even Obama admitted that repealing it would not bring jobs back. the jobs that went over would not pay enough, and people would not work for the amount those jobs would be payed.

Secondly, companies that are already international....why would they decide to stay here if they could still get a cheaper wage outside this country as well as tax breaks that our new govt does not want to give them?

Other than blindly assuming companies that are already in financial trouble would be ok with paying double if not triple per employee to bring those jobs back, what really makes you believe they would come back? US loyalty? ha

edit - my arguments are on pg. 2

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=36&i=58910&t=58910&p=2

also, the free trade agreement did alot more than just send some of our jobs overseas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, April 03, 2009 1:29 PM

Friday, April 03, 2009 2:59 PM on j-body.org
J03Y wrote:Secondly, companies that are already international....why would they decide to stay here if they could still get a cheaper wage outside this country as well as tax breaks that our new govt does not want to give them?
Tariffs?
Everyone knows Obama won't bring jobs back because he's got to keep the poor people poor! lol.
(now, off to read the other thread...)

Friday, April 03, 2009 7:28 PM on j-body.org
Yes, After all, that's the basis of that party, with out the poor, who would vote them in, Funny, that for all the "do" for the poor people.... nothing gets better.

Maybe I was not being CLEAR, If you want to SELL to people in the States, you can do one of two things; (this is how it was, for the most part, until billey boy showed up.)

A, Be owned and operated here, in the States (thus CREATING JOBS)
OR
B, Pay a LARGE Tax to import it here.

Forth Quoter 2008 alone, our GDP went DOWN ANOTHER 6.3 %..... Don't have to wonder to hard why the US Dollar is falling on the global market....

Take A look

INCREASE our GDP, And make IMPORTS cost more, this will hurt us for 4-6 years, but will have DRASTIC gains over the next 10 years to fallow for US business. and its employees. (Yes that is trickle down economics, and it WORKED in the past)

FACT, That was ECON 101 for me.

I could keep going, but really don't want to, as I feel it may be to late to keep the USSA from being a reality....

Chris

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search