Another Racial Discrimination Thread - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Another Racial Discrimination Thread
Friday, April 13, 2007 8:18 PM on j-body.org
I guess I can see how this would go either way...However, when it comes down to it..he still @!#$ up BIG TIME...

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP) — Police Sgt. Patrick Welles got a call for backup one night in 2004 and told the dispatcher he was busy but would be there shortly. It turned out he was busy having sex with a woman in his patrol car, investigators say.

The 12-year veteran was fired for conduct unbecoming an officer and other departmental violations, including misuse of city property.

But now the black officer has filed a racial discrimination lawsuit, claiming white colleagues on the Chattanooga force did similar things — or worse — and were allowed to keep their jobs.

A federal investigator with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission agreed Welles was treated differently.

The EEOC reported that the police department “had knowledge of white officers who violated policy and committed sexual offenses such as rape, masturbation in public, sexual harassment, domestic assault and various of other terminable or egregious offenses, but followed progressive disciplinary procedures as well as resignation or reinstatement for those not of the charging party’s race.”

Welles, in his April 9 lawsuit, is asking for reinstatement and back pay, or at least $100,000.

An assistant in the Chattanooga city attorney’s office, Kenneth O. Fritz, declined to comment, as did the white police chief who fired Welles, Steve Parks, and Parks’ successor, Freeman Cooper, who is black.

Welles told City Council members at an appeal hearing that he had gone to a bar around 2 a.m. for a business check and picked up a woman who had just been fired and was arguing with her employers at the bar. Welles said he drove her to a secluded area, where they had sex in his car. He said it took less time than a lunch break.

An internal affairs investigation found that while Welles was with the woman, he failed to back up other officers when a dispatcher reported a disorder at a business.

Welles’ attorney, Stuart James, said: “Regardless of the offense, when you see a pattern where white officers are treated differently, it raises a suspicion there may be discrimination because of race.”

The lawsuit cites other cases in which white officers were allowed to keep their jobs:

— One officer, charged with rape on city property while on duty, was given only a 28-day suspension and is still employed by the department, the lawsuit says. The lawsuit does not specify the outcome of the criminal charges.

— A lieutenant was disciplined for sexual harassment of an officer — using a city computer to mail sexually explicit material to a female employee. But he was restored to lieutenant after an appeal, the suit says.

Shelley Parker, an attorney for the police department, said the lawsuit would be vigorously defended. Parker said he could not recall some of the examples cited in the suit that involved white officers.

Leamon Pierce, a black city councilman who voted to uphold Welles’ firing, said an officer having sex in a patrol car is “totally out of character for a police officer. Everyone who would come before the council, we would take the same action.”

The councilman said of Welles’ contention that he wasn’t the only one to commit such an offense: “You can’t justify a wrong with another wrong.”

Re: Another Racial Discrimination Thread
Friday, April 13, 2007 8:36 PM on j-body.org
Regardless of white officers not loosing their jobs or being reinstated, this SOB did not have his brother officers backs and deserved to be showed the door. If he was just caught having a quickie maybe I'd agree with him but his disregard of his duty is inexcusable.

“Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism. Nobody gets in life exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard, and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.” Conan O'Brien

Saturday, April 14, 2007 6:55 AM on j-body.org
"But but but, they did it too!! You're a meany, you don't like me."

That's what this guy sounds like to me.

DISCLAIMER
I'm a bitch. Look out. I'm here to start drama.
Please take everything I say seriously.
Saturday, April 14, 2007 7:14 AM on j-body.org
When it's cops, you watch the other guy's back. Colour doesn't mean a damned thing.

If they let this guy back in, you'll see an article about an officer that got shot because back-up didn't arrive in time.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Saturday, April 14, 2007 8:15 AM on j-body.org
More vigilante justice. When will we ever learn?

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Saturday, April 14, 2007 9:10 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Welles said he drove her to a secluded area, where they had sex in his car. He said it took less time than a lunch break.

Saturday, April 14, 2007 10:37 PM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:More vigilante justice. When will we ever learn?

PAX

What

Sunday, April 15, 2007 5:55 AM on j-body.org
It was a comment on GAM's post about how that officer if reinstated will be injured or killed because backup didn't arrive on time for him. Once again people somehow adding two wrongs to get a right.

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Sunday, April 15, 2007 1:03 PM on j-body.org
Ok... obviously a police officer shouldn't be having sex while on duty, in his patrol car or anywhere. When you're on the clock, it doesn't matter what job you have, be it McDonald's or the freaking President... when you're on the clock you should be working and nothing BUT working.

I worked as a dispatcher, and normally when an officer requests backup... he needs backup (or they). Not backing up a fellow officer or officers because you're "too busy" having sex on the clock, on taxpayers dime... whatever... is not excusable period.

On the police board I worked on, we had 5 police departments covering their own areas, plus the State Park Rangers (which is a police entity), The Fish Comission, Coast Guard, and the Game Comission. We rarely had calls for the last 3... but at any one time this is usually how many officers we had on duty during a shift:

For Department H: usually 5 officers
For Department SR: 2-3
For Department SW: 2-4
For Department WM: 1-3
For Department P: 3-5
Park Rangers: 1-2

The higher numbers were usually on Friday or Saturday nights and varied. Department WM was a very very small department, with I believe (if I remember correctly) only a total of 8 or 9 police officers in the entire department. (Most states have just State, County and City PDs... Pennsylvania has State (which we did not dispatch for), and local Police departments. At the time I was working there, there were 23 police departments for 72 municipalities just in my county. I don't know of any "County Police" in the state at all).

One night, I had 1 WM officer listed on duty, the other had just radioed off duty. I got a call which required 2 officers, and the officer that had just gotten off duty (and hadn't left yet) went on the call with the officer on duty. This house was known in the past for having many guns, and the man there had also been known in the past to start firing at officers. The nearest extra backup available was a State Park Ranger, to which they requested me to radio him and ask the Park Ranger to come help back them up... which he did.

Fortunately nothing ended up taking place that night, but had something happened and there was no backup when needed... it could have gotten really ugly. Most smaller departments in the area have "pacts" of sorts where if backup is needed other departments will step in even though it is out of their jurisdiction to assist and this is fine... but under normal circumstances for example Department WM has absolutely no power whatsoever in Department P's area.

There'd been times when I'd get a call for department H (which like many police departments have officers assigned to a Sector or "Beat") which required 2 officers, and all the other officers were tied up on equally important things. I'd have to radio the OIC (Officer in Charge) to as his wishes (since we had no authority to make decisions for the police departments, hold calls, or anything of the sorts) and the officer that was to go on the call would radio in and say that he was refusing backup and didn't need it.

I guess my point in this is yes, disciplinary action should be brought upon any officer doing "extra curricular activities" while on the job... but in my opinion it is far more inexcusable to refuse to back up an officer when it's requested until he was done with such activities... that can be a HUGE officer and public safety issue, and he should have been terminated... as well as any other officer who'd done the same thing. I think had he not been requested to backup it wouldn't have been AS bad... but being that he was and it could have been a dangerous situation that just makes it that much worse. If he had simply "just" had sex in the police car and nothing else was going on... yeah he should have been suspended for a while on the first offense (even though in my opinion it's not something that's "tolerable" to begin with), but being that possible officer and public safety could have been at risk... that's more severe in my opinion.

I don't know, it gets kinda "hairy" when you get into things like this... while no one should be given more leniency when it comes to things like having sex while on the clock, in a way it's one thing if you drop your "activity" when duty calls... but it's another to not do your duty until after you're done doing something you shouldn't be doing to begin with.

I hope that made sense...

Monday, April 16, 2007 7:32 AM on j-body.org
What kind of F'in police department are they running over there? Sounds like they ALL need to be fired.

---

Monday, April 16, 2007 8:55 AM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:It was a comment on GAM's post about how that officer if reinstated will be injured or killed because backup didn't arrive on time for him. Once again people somehow adding two wrongs to get a right.

PAX

How likely would you be to rush out to help someone that didn't have your back?

Buddy was off getting his freak on, and intentionally delayed getting there. That means that another officer's safety took a back seat to him busting a nut.

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be standing on the go pedal to get to his rescue (I wouldn't say I'm too busy and not go, ONA is ONA), then again, I wouldn't be off shagging a chick on duty (even if I was, I'd pack my stiffy into my trousers and get moving... When an officer asks for help, you don't f**k around).

Monday, April 16, 2007 9:00 AM on j-body.org
^^^exactly. Maybe we should acutally try intelligence and decency as requirements for being a cop.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, April 16, 2007 10:10 AM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:What kind of F'in police department are they running over there? Sounds like they ALL need to be fired.
x1000

This lawsuit is funny. He is suing to get his job back(or for compensation not deserved) just because others didn't get fired. By all rights though(if equal treatment is really what he wants), he should be suing to get the white officers - who also did this crap - fired as well.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Monday, April 16, 2007 1:10 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:
Hahahaha wrote:It was a comment on GAM's post about how that officer if reinstated will be injured or killed because backup didn't arrive on time for him. Once again people somehow adding two wrongs to get a right.

PAX

How likely would you be to rush out to help someone that didn't have your back?

Buddy was off getting his freak on, and intentionally delayed getting there. That means that another officer's safety took a back seat to him busting a nut.

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be standing on the go pedal to get to his rescue (I wouldn't say I'm too busy and not go, ONA is ONA), then again, I wouldn't be off shagging a chick on duty (even if I was, I'd pack my stiffy into my trousers and get moving... When an officer asks for help, you don't f**k around).

I totally understand what you are saying, and I may be inclined to think that way as well. That doesn't make it OK. If I delayed going to help that guy, I'm as guilty as he is.

I agree with the above poster who said Fiore them all. It's been done before and it can be done again. If the detatchment sucks, at least fire the chief and get some control in place.

PAX

- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Monday, April 16, 2007 5:30 PM on j-body.org
Certainly, it's not OK, but it's fair, and it gets the point across. If he needs to sweat a little to figure it out, then so be it, my $0.02. You don't just ignore something like a need assistance call, but you also have to police your own.

Hopefully, this Welles cat doesn't get a nickle, and doesn't get another Law Enforcement job. If you can't rely on someone 24/7 while they're on duty, they're not much good to the dept.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 9:59 PM on j-body.org
what ever happened to people saying "ok i @!#$ up, time to move on and get another job and not do the same mistake"

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 2:10 PM on j-body.org
When they realized they could sue, lose 10-15% of the settlement to the lawyers and still have about a million dollars to sit on to make their butt-hurt go away.

Personal responsibility is a myth these days, imagine if the President actually did what you were saying Tracer...

Actually, I'm wrong... Colin Powell has personal integrity and responsibility. He elected to leave as Secretary of State rather than sully his reputation further with being a mouthpiece for the current administration. Good on him. (personal opinions there...) I can only hope that the officer here follows Powell's lead and accepts that he f**ked up, and that he doesn't deserve a damned thing, he accepted the firing, and now, he's suing... if his job was that important to him, he'd have appealed the decision.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search