Confederate Flag display - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Confederate Flag display
Saturday, March 17, 2007 4:16 PM on j-body.org
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070317/ap_on_re_us/confederate_flag

Honestly, i think its the guys opinion and there is such a thing as freedom of speech. Its all within the statute so i fail to see the problem. If the US flag burning is protected under free speech, then i think all the bitchers should hush. Whatever happened to saying i dont like it and then moving on? I also think the past behind the Confederate Flag and what it is known to stand for really makes me wonder why some people are so proud about being a descendant of a confederate soldier (and yes i do realize that there are plenty of racist @!#$s out there). I dunno, i think people need to stop getting butthurt over other peoples opinions and expression of their opinions. Thoughts?

Re: Confederate Flag display
Saturday, March 17, 2007 6:27 PM on j-body.org
Illegal for decorative or patriotic purposes?????? I bought a Confederate flag license plate at WAL-MART up here

We're a world apart it seems.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 6:42 PM on j-body.org
Personally I think we should be allowed to burn the confederate flag and anything that's attached to it.

Bubba is going to have on hot little pick up... bar-b-q time!

Tech Tone Blog
Sunday, March 18, 2007 7:20 AM on j-body.org
If they wanted to show their pride for the ol' South, Bubba should just fly the Stars and Bars. I'm sure none of dem Yankees would know what it is nowadays...

Sunday, March 18, 2007 9:03 AM on j-body.org
The people that view the confederate flag as a sign of racism and hate need to look deeper into the campaign of the north. Anyone who believes that the conferderate flag stands for slavery and hate knows very little about the actual conflict between the North and the South. The american civil war was not about slavery it was about unification, differing opinions on government, a power grab and much more that I dont have the time nor space to discuss in a message board.

The history you are taught in schools is the history of the winning side as is the case in any war where control of power is lost or gained, your only going to get the side of the story that places the winners in a positive light.

Slavery is the scapegoat used to justify the bloodshed. If the northern goverment had really cared about the freedom of African Americans (at the time they were all close descendants of Africa) they would not have had segregated schools, unequal laws, and unresearched crimes.

-Chris

Sunday, March 18, 2007 7:36 PM on j-body.org
IamRascal wrote:The people that view the confederate flag as a sign of racism and hate need to look deeper into the campaign of the north. Anyone who believes that the conferderate flag stands for slavery and hate knows very little about the actual conflict between the North and the South. The american civil war was not about slavery it was about unification, differing opinions on government, a power grab and much more that I dont have the time nor space to discuss in a message board.

The history you are taught in schools is the history of the winning side as is the case in any war where control of power is lost or gained, your only going to get the side of the story that places the winners in a positive light.

Slavery is the scapegoat used to justify the bloodshed. If the northern goverment had really cared about the freedom of African Americans (at the time they were all close descendants of Africa) they would not have had segregated schools, unequal laws, and unresearched crimes.

Very well said.

Topic closed!

Monday, March 19, 2007 12:41 AM on j-body.org
Freedom of Speech?

HAHAHA

Monday, March 19, 2007 1:21 AM on j-body.org
Mikedirntrulez wrote:
IamRascal wrote:The people that view the confederate flag as a sign of racism and hate need to look deeper into the campaign of the north. Anyone who believes that the conferderate flag stands for slavery and hate knows very little about the actual conflict between the North and the South. The american civil war was not about slavery it was about unification, differing opinions on government, a power grab and much more that I dont have the time nor space to discuss in a message board.

Very well said.

Topic closed!

Thats good and all, but frankly, the vast majority of all the problems between the North and South revolved around slavery or slavery was a big part of. For example, representation in Congress (the three-fifths law or compromise or whatever you want to call it). Anything economical revolved around the slavery issue as well. I never said that it stood for hate and racism. It did stand for the unity of slave-supporting states. And if you don't believe that the Civil War revolved mostly around slavery, well then, i guess i cant help you.

Monday, March 19, 2007 7:28 AM on j-body.org
Tracer Bullet wrote: And if you don't believe that the Civil War revolved mostly around slavery, well then, i guess i cant help you.

Its not a matter of belief its a matter of fact. The civil war was started over economics and politics. The north heavily taxed the south due to their economic strength in agriculture and insted of using the tariff money to assist the south it was spent to further improve the north. With a fear of losing their land the South decided to succeed and form the The Conferderate States. Even the Confederate constitution also forbid the importation of slaves. Lincoln even went in favor of protecting a persons right to own slaves as property

The South succeeding from the states was the last straw for the North and then the war of unification began.

I'll agree slavery was a part of the issue but it was not THE issue. War is never started for one reason but in the case of the civil war its talked as being fought over slavery if you talk to the North and seeing as they won thats the common concensus, but when you talk to the south it was fought to protect individuals rights against a government that increasingly gained to much power.

"I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races. I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people. There is a physical difference between the white and black races, which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality." Lincoln (1858)

Direct quotes from the Commander and Chief of the time:
"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so." - Lincoln (Inagural Address 1860)

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union" Lincoln (Letter to Horace Greeley, August 22, 1862)."

-Chris

Monday, March 19, 2007 7:41 AM on j-body.org
Oh no! Free expression! Be afraid and offended!

Monday, March 19, 2007 7:41 AM on j-body.org
I like the confederate flag and I dont give a @!#$ if anybody else likes it or not.

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:08 AM on j-body.org
Rascal hit it dead on. The North only invoked the Anti-slavery stance to prevent Europe from siding with, and recognizing the confederacy as an independent state. Europe had a huge demand for souther textiles. They also had a staunch anti-slavery mindset at the time. As such, Lincoln used the Gettysburg address and *made* the war (which was before then about States rights, the right to secede, and econimics fo the industrial vs. agricultural) about slavery to basically stop England, France, and Russia from siding with the South.

Now, as for the flag and it's message, I do say it falls under Freedom of Speech. Let the exhibit stand.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, March 19, 2007 10:08 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Its not a matter of belief its a matter of fact. The civil war was started over economics and politics.

and the majority of those economic and political issues stemmed from the use of slaves and industries that used slaves.
I never said it was just because of slaves and freeing them. The majority of the issues stemmed from slavery.

Monday, March 19, 2007 4:30 PM on j-body.org
Public education at it's best!
Wednesday, March 21, 2007 12:36 PM on j-body.org
i love how people want equality but yet they still pull the race card every chance they get
@!#$ em!

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 5:57 PM on j-body.org
LiquidFireCavy (mdk) wrote:i love how people want equality but yet they still pull the race card every chance they get
@!#$ em!

Saturday, March 24, 2007 6:49 AM on j-body.org
Interesting...

Next topic of conversation: The wheel of Falun and how it was misinterpreted by Roman and German dictatorships.

People assign values and beset prejudices on objects or symbols. It's part of human nature.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 10:22 PM on j-body.org
Ummmm.....

Lets look at some similar "evils". The KKK and people with confederate flags.

The KKK.... Hate all blacks, mexicans, asians equally. Also thinks women are for babies BJs and cookin. Still actively caught up in racist MURDER cases, constant vandlizing and other horrible things.

Then we have "confederate supporters" who AT WORST can be said to support slavery from the 1800's. Oh wait, its 150-200 years later.... why is everyone all butt hurt?

F*cking get your priorities straight america.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe Im just pissed, pissed that my freinds are spineless, What else would you
call abandoment some night, when you're in a fight, and they could make things right?
Spineless. I miss some of my old friends, the ones who you could count on,
bet a huge amount on, the fact that they'd always have your back... Its like a kick in
the sack, just knowing, you've got nothing to fall back on. @!#$ this, Im done.
Monday, March 26, 2007 7:29 AM on j-body.org
My country 'tis of thee sweet land of Bigotry.

Only in america could you have people wanting less government interference with lives at at the same time thinking it's alright to shove religion down our throats.

Only in america would you have a hippie girl protesting the killing of animals for science experiments right after she gets done with her abortion.

Only in america was cocaine not good enough for someone and thus crack was born.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, March 26, 2007 6:00 PM on j-body.org
mmmmmmmmmm.....crack

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search