If you dont vote, dont complain - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
If you dont vote, dont complain
Friday, November 10, 2006 9:35 AM on j-body.org
this remark is bull@!#$. i HATE it.

it is everyoen constitution right NOT to vote. voting or nto voting is not a determining factor on wether you should complain or not.

so until there is an option on the ballets like we have discussed around here where when i am choosing a candidate, and i do not want anyone of them at all to represent me or run that office, where i can fill in a box that says somethign along the lines of none of the candidates are what i want, i will continue not to vote if and when there is a situation where i dont want any of the candidates.

and doing so does not limit my right to complain in ANY way. It is my right not to vote, and i can utilize that right anytime in any way i wish. i pay taxes. .... alot of them.

Creative Draft Art Media Forums

Re: If you dont vote, dont complain
Friday, November 10, 2006 9:47 AM on j-body.org
Depends on what your complaining about.

If your whining because the Dem Gov got elected, versus the Republican... then yes, your an idiot for not voting.

But if you like me and though both choices sucked, then yea. you have the right to complain.

Friday, November 10, 2006 10:13 AM on j-body.org
im not sayign i did or didnt vote this election.

but i have abstained from voting in certain races because i did not feel that i wanted any of the candidates for that possition.

many people will say, well your supposed to vote for the lesser of evils. i dont believe in that anymore. voting for the lesser of evils give false statistics. the gvnmt and political analyst dont know why you voted for who you did. so to them it looks like you WANTED the person you voted for.

Friday, November 10, 2006 11:32 AM on j-body.org
If you don't vote then you shouldn't bitch about who was elected, PERIOD.

If you want to complain about your choice on the ballots then I suggest you do something to get people you approve on the next ticket. If you don't at least try, you shouldn't complain about that either.

Too many people do nothing to make their voice heard then sit back and bitch when they're not satisfied because the country/state/city is going in a direction that they do not want. If you want something different, do something more than compaining on a message board.
Friday, November 10, 2006 11:44 AM on j-body.org
I agree with Nathaniel. Why should people HAVE to vote if they don't like either of the candidates? You have full right to not vote for them, it's a so called vote of protest. If I think every candidate is a bad choice, I would have full right to complain when they are elected.

Not if you're talking about voting for laws and such, you really have no room to complain if you don't vote, you either like the proposal or you don't. If you're half way between, then you shouldn't care whichever way it goes.

Friday, November 10, 2006 12:08 PM on j-body.org
Alex Yingling wrote:I agree with Nathaniel. Why should people HAVE to vote if they don't like either of the candidates? You have full right to not vote for them, it's a so called vote of protest. If I think every candidate is a bad choice, I would have full right to complain when they are elected.

No...you don't. You didn't vote, you didn't put in your opinion, you have no right.

I'll use an old addige,

Ye who shall not work, neither shall he eat.

If you don't like either, pick the lesser of the two evils. It may be evil, but it's not as bad

Alex Yingling wrote:Not if you're talking about voting for laws and such, you really have no room to complain if you don't vote, you either like the proposal or you don't. If you're half way between, then you shouldn't care whichever way it goes.

...umm...nevermind

Friday, November 10, 2006 12:22 PM on j-body.org
I didn't vote this week, I didn't vote last year and I didn't vote in 2004.

I study Poly Sci and I have my own reasons why I don't vote. I have a right NOT to vote and I have a right to complain it the people who were voted in are doing a bad job, i.e corruption and sacandles.

If you voted for somebody and they screw the country up, then it's your fault not mine. If I vote and the person I voted for didn't get in do I have the same right to complain....yes.

You only have one vote in the mix of a few million. Small voice. If it was a local election or law or referendeum then I would vote. Big governenemt doesn't care about you and usually don't do what they say they are going to do so don't get you panties in a bunch over who votes and who doesn't.
Friday, November 10, 2006 12:23 PM on j-body.org
Alex Yingling wrote:I agree with Nathaniel. Why should people HAVE to vote if they don't like either of the candidates? You have full right to not vote for them, it's a so called vote of protest. If I think every candidate is a bad choice, I would have full right to complain when they are elected.

If you don't like any of the candidates and don't vote....here's some news for you....one of them is still going to get elected. You will never, ever find a candidate that you agree with 100%. Everyone always votes for the candidate they think is closest to their ideal candidate. Even in an election in which you don't like any candidates I'll bet that one is closer than the others.

You do realize that elections are not just one day of voting. There's ample opportunity before you're limited to candidates you don't like to have your voice heard and get acceptable candidates on the tickets. If you didn't make some effort to affect the process/outcome of the election then you shouldn't complain.

being complacent about the elections by not participating in any phase is just hedging your bets so you get to bitch no matter who wins.
Friday, November 10, 2006 12:29 PM on j-body.org
mclonedogmcwad wrote:
You only have one vote in the mix of a few million. Small voice. If it was a local election or law or referendeum then I would vote. Big governenemt doesn't care about you and usually don't do what they say they are going to do so don't get you panties in a bunch over who votes and who doesn't.

This defeatist attitude is one of the major problems with people in America.

mclonedogmcwad wrote:
If you voted for somebody and they screw the country up, then it's your fault not mine. If I vote and the person I voted for didn't get in do I have the same right to complain....yes.

Any person who votes, no matter if they vote for the winner or loser has at least made an effort.
Friday, November 10, 2006 12:39 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

This defeatist attitude is one of the major problems with people in America.

prove to me otherwise. Yes I have a very apethic attude toward US government. I would vote but I like others don't want to choice a lesser of two evils if I see that both aren't going to do any good or if neither hold by views.
I point you toward Lou Dobbs and his new book as far as if governement is working the way it should.

Quote:

Any person who votes, no matter if they vote for the winner or loser has at least made an effort.

some people want to make an effort but it is a matter of convenice, less then half the country votes, for many many reasons.

I am just one person I have my own values and own choices. The greatest thing about this country is that we can agree to disagree so I leave it at that.
Friday, November 10, 2006 12:41 PM on j-body.org
No no no no, the term "If you don't vote, then don't complain" comes from people who don't put the effort into voting, but still complains about the government. It's like complaining about your messy house, but you don't bother to take out the trash.

However, if you don't agree with either choice, you shouldn't NOT vote. If you don't vote, you'll be classified as an apathetic voter statistically. What you SHOULD do though is show your depreciation of the choices by either marking both candidates, or putting an X on the whole ballot. That way, you're showing that you care enough about politics to show up, and you're making a statement by ruining the ballot.

I'm sure you have the right not to vote, but in important matters like deciding who runs your life, I'm not sure why anyone would want to exercise this right.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Friday, November 10, 2006 1:01 PM on j-body.org
Its funny you say this. Because I'm sick of people who don't vote bitching about the out come.
I work with two people who aren't even registered to vote, and all they have done is bitch and moan since the election. All i have to say to them is SHUT THE @!#$ UP.
I have nothing else to say as everyone has said it for me.

Friday, November 10, 2006 1:14 PM on j-body.org
mclonedogmcwad wrote:I didn't vote this week, I didn't vote last year and I didn't vote in 2004.

I study Poly Sci and I have my own reasons why I don't vote. I have a right NOT to vote and I have a right to complain it the people who were voted in are doing a bad job, i.e corruption and sacandles.

I study poly sci too. Yes, you have a right not to vote, but you also have the right TO vote. But to just sit back and take makes you part of the problem, not the solution. You don't like what people do, then make sure they get out. Hell, if you have to at least show up, do what Glace said, put a big X on it...or write, All candidates suck.

At least then you can say you voted. Is it really that much of a burden to take 10 minutes of your day to choose where your government goes? I mean, you can move to some other country that doesn't allow it if you're really that apethetic about things.

mclonedogmcwad wrote:

Yes...you do. But I enjoy how you are so glad to pop off blame to the other guy. You sir...are a tool.

Friday, November 10, 2006 1:27 PM on j-body.org
Well thanks to all who didn't give a $&it. You and me are now gonna have to pay higher taxes. And live with the whinny dicks who will make our lives hell for the next few years. So your "not voting position" got them elected. How does that make it better. WTF.

Labrat
Friday, November 10, 2006 1:31 PM on j-body.org
im not talking about people who dont care, so they dont vote.

i am talking specifically people who do not vote because they literally cant stand the choices.

-----------

listen, if i HATE all the choices, but I pick one anyways, what message does that send? it sends the message that i LIKED the candidate i voted for, when in fact that is completely untrue. and because that message is sent that i LIKE that candidate little effort is made to change the type of person they elect for the party to run, sinc eobviously the stats show all these people "like" that candidate since they got votes.

so in this case i can NOT vote in my ONLY effort to not encourage status quo in the parties. and in this case i can NOT vote and spend the rest of the year complain my @!#$in ass off about the gvnmt.

voting for a candidate you do not want does NOT help become part of the solution AT ALL

-------

I am an AMERICAN
I WILL NOT be forced to choose a candidate i do not want
I WILL NOT be told i can not complain for having dissatisfaction in my officials

Friday, November 10, 2006 1:32 PM on j-body.org
I think the way voting goes it is wrong. If you do what Glace said then your whole ticket is not vaild. also with the newer electronic machines or even levers you can't put an x or mark both. The only thing is to write something in.

I am not blaming the other guy. I enjoy watching and enganging in coversations about poltics. I agree with both sides one some issues. You should know then that voting a crued way of measurement. In other words your not voting you change something directly (less it is a ballot question). We vote for represenatives to are suppose to do something we agree with. I don't see how you can pick thing or vote straight along political lines if the other person has better ideas then your guy but some of his ideas are worst then your guy. You end up choicing a lesser of two evils. I choice not to do this.

And another thing, after say the first two or three people on a card do you really know who your voting for. Say after the president, house rep, senator, and possibly state gov't rep. Do you know anything about the 2nd level disrtic court judge or any of the local coucil memebers that run. Usually not. I don't like people that vote just to say they voted but really have no idea who or why they voted for a person. Oh i voted for so in so...why? If you vote you should know excactly who and what your voting for on every level and if you don't then you don't have a right to bithc when something goes wrong because you voted for them.
Friday, November 10, 2006 1:34 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

I am an AMERICAN
I WILL NOT be told i can not complain for having dissatisfaction in my officials

I completly agree
Friday, November 10, 2006 1:48 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

I am an AMERICAN

I WILL NOT tolerate your opinion then.

Friday, November 10, 2006 1:50 PM on j-body.org
Smus ran out of posts wrote:
Quote:

I am an AMERICAN

I WILL NOT tolerate your opinion then.

last time I checked it's a free country do what you want. USA FTW
Friday, November 10, 2006 2:00 PM on j-body.org
by not voting you are NOT showing the goverment that you are against both parties. the goverment will just assume u are to lazy to show up. so you are not making some grand stand against your goverment.

you cant tell me that out of every single candidate that not one single person has some of the similar views as you. when i voted tuesday there was roughly 60 people on the ballot when it was all said and done. so to say that you dont share any views with over 60 people seems a bit far fetched to me. yes this is a free country and you have the right to bitch and moan if you want. but if you do nothing to change who is in control you are as much to blame as the people in goverment you hate.

nathanial you are not sending any message to the goverment. dont fool yourself thinking your making this grand stand against goverment because when it comes down to it your not. your no diffrent then someone who was just to lazy to make a choice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, November 10, 2006 2:01 PM on j-body.org
I totally agree Nate. As a matter of fact, your complaining IS your form of vote. Instead of checking a box and going back to the sheep pen, you vote with your criticism.

And don't you dare stop. The world doesn't need any more sheep. You tell the jerks in charge exactly what you think of them as loud as you please.

Friday, November 10, 2006 2:06 PM on j-body.org
yeah but just by not voting, he is really telling nobody nothing, it just means his goverment will be chosen by a smaller amount of people.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, November 10, 2006 2:28 PM on j-body.org
Jeremy Knox wrote:I totally agree Nate. As a matter of fact, your complaining IS your form of vote. Instead of checking a box and going back to the sheep pen, you vote with your criticism.

And don't you dare stop. The world doesn't need any more sheep. You tell the jerks in charge exactly what you think of them as loud as you please.

Unless you make your complaint public in someway, than all your doing is making yourself seen as an Undecided. By being public, I mean petitioning, putting up a site, passing fliers etc. The other method is as I mentioned before to purposefully mess up the ballot. mclonedogmcwad mentioned though that there's new electronic voting machines so I don't know what to do there, but for now all we have is the old pencil paper method so that still applies for me.

So basically, I completely understand why you don't want to vote, but the government doesn't know at all and just lumps you with the other apathetic voters.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Friday, November 10, 2006 2:33 PM on j-body.org
sndsgood wrote:by not voting you are NOT showing the goverment that you are against both parties. the goverment will just assume u are to lazy to show up. so you are not making some grand stand against your goverment.

that is EXACTLY why i am pushing for their to be an option on candidate races that signifies you do not wna teither candidate at all. and until then i will NOT lie to the gvnmt by saying i DO want one of them.

Quote:

you cant tell me that out of every single candidate that not one single person has some of the similar views as you. when i voted tuesday there was roughly 60 people on the ballot when it was all said and done. so to say that you dont share any views with over 60 people seems a bit far fetched to me. yes this is a free country and you have the right to bitch and moan if you want. but if you do nothing to change who is in control you are as much to blame as the people in goverment you hate.

i never said i dont vote the entire ballot. if there is a specific race and i do not want either and do not feel either would be helpfull i will not vote. i will not lie and tell my gvnmt i DO want one of them when i do not.

why would i vote a candidate in to office i dont want in office?

Quote:

nathanial you are not sending any message to the goverment. dont fool yourself thinking your making this grand stand against goverment because when it comes down to it your not. your no diffrent then someone who was just to lazy to make a choice.

right now, yes i am. and that is my primary argument to get a new ballot choice initiated. so that people like me can make a stand and be heard. and at that point we will NOT be the same a lazy loosers and we WILL be showing the government what we ACTUALLY WANT instead of telling them a lie when we vote a candidate in to office that we actually didnt want.

Friday, November 10, 2006 5:05 PM on j-body.org
so you have gone out and got involved with your local goverment to try and have this added to the ballot. or have just talked about it on the org?

and the ballots now have a write in for every option so you could make your thoughts known.

and if you did go out an vote for certain people in certain races then you are a voter and you do have the right to complain.

but know this, if you are waiting for someone to run for office that shares your personal views then you need to run yourself. chances are pretty slim that other people out there that run will share the exact same views as you.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search