9/10th of a cent per gallon of gas - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 9/10th of a cent per gallon of gas
Friday, November 03, 2006 9:59 AM on j-body.org
they do. thats the point of ths entire thread!

they round up and your not getting the amount of gas your paying for.

Creative Draft Art Media Forums

Friday, November 03, 2006 11:21 AM on j-body.org
zero wrote:They probably just round up to the next cent anyway.

Hahaha. Why do you think he's so pissed.

I feel the same way; and comparing taxes and interest rates to that 9/10 of a cent is completely wrong. The gov't says 6% tax and thats what they charge. The bank says 6% interest and that's what they charge. The gas station says X.xx9, but thats NOT always what they charge. JimmyZ has got a point. You need to fill up when its coolest at night, so that YOU can rape THEM by getting gas of a higher density!

Although I feel your pain, we cannot do anything about it ... you have to write your congressman.

Friday, November 03, 2006 12:51 PM on j-body.org
Nathaniel O'Flaherty wrote:they do. thats the point of ths entire thread!

they round up and your not getting the amount of gas your paying for.

If the gas is going for $2.15 9/10 they round it up to $2.15 and you get $2.16 worth of gas. It's really a non-issue in my life.

Friday, November 03, 2006 1:23 PM on j-body.org
^ i think you said that wrong.

you get 2.15 and 9/10ths of a cent worth of gas but are charged $2.16. that adds up VERY quickly.

Friday, November 03, 2006 3:03 PM on j-body.org
No no no.. You guys are not thinking it through..

if it was $2.159 you would pay $2.16 if you only bought one gallon. Buy 10 gallons and you'll pay $21.59

Buy 16 Gallons ($34.544) and pay $34.54

They don't round per gallon but per sale.. Just exactly like when you pay a 6% tax, or and other fee based on a percentage.

PAX
Friday, November 03, 2006 5:17 PM on j-body.org
they round at the end yes. but your not thinking it through we were only talking about one gallon.

they do the rounding at the end but they add up all the 9/10ths per gallon.

so if you buy 15 gallons at $2.26

that is $33.90 cents.

factor in .009 cents or 9/10ths of a cents per gallon and the total is now: $34.035 or $34.03 and 5/10ths of a cent.

because of the extra 9/10ths of a cent per gallon that tank just cost you an extra .135 or 13 cents and half a cent.

then they take that $34.035 and round up to $34.04

so not only did they screw you by splitting pennies and then adding up those split pennies over all the gallons you purchase but then they round up afterwards.

then factor in the stuff jimmy z talked about with temperature and volume and the amount of gas you are ACTUALLY getting does NOT = the amount you ACTUALLY PAID for.

then multiply that by how many gallons of gas you buy in a life time and then multiply that by how many people in the united states and you can start to see the issue.

Friday, November 03, 2006 6:30 PM on j-body.org
Nathaniel wrote:because of the extra 9/10ths of a cent per gallon that tank just cost you an extra .135 or 13 cents and half a cent.

I wrote:Because the federal government has a set tax in place of 37.9 cents per gallon, no matter how many gallons or what price per gallon.

As much as you want to split hairs (or in this case, pennies), that's the reason why.

Don't like it,
Clicky

Friday, November 03, 2006 6:40 PM on j-body.org
I don't know about where everyone else lives, but I know all the gas tanks I have ever looked at says adjusted for temperature. But either way, I always get my gas at night time anyways, because the gas station near me, always has the gas atleast $0.08/L cheaper then during the day.

As for them ripping off us with the 9/10ths, like me, most of us don't look at the big picture, we just look at what we are buying, and not care about the extra pennies.

But truthfully if everyone started looking at the making a big deal about it, maybe some day, something will be changed.

Friday, November 03, 2006 7:41 PM on j-body.org
Lemme get this straigh.... your paying $2.43 for a gallon of gas, and only complaining about 1/10th of a cent you might be missing. Personally, they can keep there 1/10th of a cent, I want $1.50/gallon gas again.

Friday, November 03, 2006 8:58 PM on j-body.org
Capo di tutti capi wrote:Lemme get this straigh.... your paying $2.43 for a gallon of gas, and only complaining about 1/10th of a cent you might be missing. Personally, they can keep there 1/10th of a cent, I want $1.50/gallon gas again.

It's not just the tenth of a cent, if I understand correctly, its the fact that its done that way, then someone is pocketing the differnce. They could give us a 9/10cent tax relief, or someone can pocket what they are rounding every time. THAT is the issue, not the fact that you may loose a tenth ONE time when you fill up

Friday, November 03, 2006 9:05 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

.... whilst using a pirate voice: "Arrr matey. Where be me pieces of dolla?"

I laughed like an idiot at this quote.

Saturday, November 04, 2006 6:45 AM on j-body.org
Guys, it's part of any retail sale.

Our company for example might mark a HDD up by 8.5%. Let's say cost is $107 so or sale price will be $116.095 or in reality $116.10. If you bought 10 of them it's be $1160.95. That's just the way it is.

If you would be more comfortable I guess fuel stations could charge $2.16 per gallon instead of $2.159 and you could pay that extra 1/10th of a cent on every gallon instead of rounding at the end. Would that make you happy?

The 9/10th of a cent is not "extra" it's a calculated retail price.

Do you believe in the "free" market? If so, then you know retailers can price however they want and you can choose to buy or not. The price charged is not a "rip off" nor is there any "extra" in there. It is a simple question of marketing and whatever the going price is based on supply and demand. They are calculating their price based on a percentage and buy carrying an extra decimal they are actually saving you money.

If you don't like it, buy from a retailer with older pumps that do not carry the extra decimal place. You be paying more though, I guarentee it. However it is a pittance, so who cares?

Who buys one gallon of gas? Who ever pays more than $0.005 "extra" per sale? Same person, their name is Nobody.

What do you think happens with every other retail product? What do you think happens when taxes are calculated?

Why would you ever suggest dictating pricing policies in a free market economy? What you are seeing is happening with ALL retail sales, get over it. It's normal, and it's not unfair.

PAX
Saturday, November 04, 2006 10:41 AM on j-body.org
dude, your completely missing the point.

it doesnt matter wether it happens with other things or not.

those other things are not regulated by the government.
those other things do not advertise that 9/10ths of a cent.

a company or product cant visually show you your paying one amount, but instead charge you something different. thats illegal.

so in reality you ARE supposed to be getting and paying for ie 2.19 9/10 for a gallon.

and you completely missing the point of why the 9/10 is there in the first place. you must go back and read jimmy's post. the tenths of a cent add on to per gallon of gas was originally created to compensate for volume change due to temperature. it was originally an effort to actually give consumers what they are payign for no matter wether it is 100 degrees or 30 degrees. but they eventually found out it was too much hassle to do this so they permanently set it up at 9/10ths to maximize their profit and screw the consumer out of the most gasoline as they can.

Saturday, November 04, 2006 4:26 PM on j-body.org
Honestly I don't care about that 9/10th of a cent. There is alot of stuff out there that should piss us off - and this isn't one of them.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Saturday, November 04, 2006 7:13 PM on j-body.org
Gas prices are arbitrary anyway. There's a station near me that's got a digital price sign. They change the prices based on the time of day. 6 to 9am and 4 - 8 pm are higher prices then the rest of the day. Why do they do that? Because they can.

And we all know gas prices are higher around holidays.. Why do they do that? Because they can.

So my opinion on the 9/10th of a cent is this...

WHO CARES? WHY IS GAS $2.60 A GALLON???

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Saturday, November 04, 2006 8:58 PM on j-body.org

Quote:

At least its not up/over $3 like it was.

I heard rumor (which I'm trying to source as accurate or not) that a bio-gasoline was approved - not E85 - to be sold in the US, hence the slightly lower price.

Saturday, November 04, 2006 9:08 PM on j-body.org
Kardain wrote:
Quote:

At least its not up/over $3 like it was.

I heard rumor (which I'm trying to source as accurate or not) that a bio-gasoline was approved - not E85 - to be sold in the US, hence the slightly lower price.

Yes, it's not $3 like it was, but we're still being raped but now they're using a little grease so it doesn't seem as bad.

I hadn't heard about any gas substitutes, I thought the arbitrary price decrease was due to the upcoming election. You know those oil boys like to keep republicans in office. Prices will probably continue to fall until after the mid elections, then go back up. Expect the same arbitrary cycle around election time.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Saturday, November 04, 2006 9:34 PM on j-body.org
Couple things that I've found so far on gas substitute, but nothing about the US market:

http://www.bdpedia.com/re/be/biogasoline/bio_gasoline.html

http://www.boulderbiodiesel.com/forum/viewThread.jsp?message=2794&thread=1033&forum=1&parent=-1

From the second site:

Quote:

Biodiesel no, but biogasoline yes!! These guys in Pittsburgh have got some awesome stuff brewing together with Carnegie Mellon. They "crack" the molecules using microwaves and their catalyst. Their biodiesel process for example uses very minimal energy and there is no need for water. Wash or anywhere, sweet! Good for arid regions like some areas in Australia I'm trying to get into. Anyways, back to the biogasoline, when I was back home (P-burgh) they had some biogasoline, biokerosene, and bio jet fuel in their lab. I was totally sketptical at first, but all sounds good and @!#$, it is Carnegie Mellon. Check out their brochure, you'll definetly be hearing their names in the future. Forgot to mention their first plant will be a 10 million gallon plant in Pittsburgh producing by Spring.

http://capital-technologies.com/brochure/Brochure.pdf

Sunday, November 05, 2006 11:26 AM on j-body.org
Bastardking3000 wrote:Honestly I don't care about that 9/10th of a cent. There is alot of stuff out there that should piss us off - and this isn't one of them.

thats is an entirely selfish viewpoint. it may be 9/10ths of a cent to you but its millions of dollars the the american public.

also alot of the reason why there are so many things that arent right in our society is from a mind set of "there are more important things to worry about"

everytime there is somethign wrong there is always "somethign more important" well when do you get to that thing that is more important, and what are you doing about it.

just because there are "other" things or even "other more important" things that need fixin, does NOT mean you dont pay attention, dont try to change the other or smaller issues.

this is why the gvnmt gets away with as many things as they do. as long as there is some major issues for peopel to worry about they can get away with 5 million other little smaller issues because the american public looks at those issues and says " there are other things to worry about"

----------------------

Kardain-
interesting, VERY interesting.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search