John Kerry's "botched joke?"! - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
John Kerry's "botched joke?"!
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:23 AM on j-body.org
nullArticle

Ok, I admit that I voted for Bush in the last election, so I may be a bit biased against Kerry in the first place, but that "joke" he attempted yesterday was plain awful and a disgrace. I don't care if he "meant" that the Bush admin was stupid or whater pathetic attempt to cover his mistake is; he blatantly disrespected our men and women over seas. Now I know the press is going to have a field day trying to "explain" what he really meant and all that typical crap, but I was curious what everyone else thought.

The worst part is that currently he refuses to apologize to anyone. WTH?

"''You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq." ~ John Kerry

ShiftyCav wrote:thats probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard. you should take that serpentine belt and wrap it around your neck.

Re: John Kerry's "botched joke?"!
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:36 AM on j-body.org
funny...

I'm laughing my ass off at the whole scandal.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:51 AM on j-body.org
Democrats running for office have already dis-invited him to campaign for them.

---

Re: John Kerry's
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:51 AM on j-body.org

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:53 AM on j-body.org
^^ ROFLMAO

---

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 10:03 AM on j-body.org
now thats @!#$ funny

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 10:29 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]funny...

x2

Lucky for Bush that Kerry got himself into this. Takes the spotlight off of his screwups.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 10:41 AM on j-body.org
Kerry claims he screwed up a joke but he wasn't even close to what he was "supposed" to say. It seems like he accidentally let his true feelings come out, now he has to play the spin game.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 11:01 AM on j-body.org
This is how I look at it.

If I told my wife "I don't love you", then caught her later packing her bags over it, I'm pretty sure I'd have to apologize profusely if I REALLY MEANT to say "I don't love anybody else but you" or not.

---

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 11:04 AM on j-body.org
JimmyZ wrote:

Bonus points to those troops

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 11:10 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]
JimmyZ wrote:

Bonus points to those troops

x3 brazilian

that's hilarious

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 11:35 AM on j-body.org
Well Kerry just commited political suicide. However, what he said was kinda sorta kinda true. More that half of the people who go into the military do so for just about every reason EXCEPT to serve their country. When I applied in 1994 I couldn't give a damn about the country. I just wanted a paycheck. The Canadian military didn't take me at the time because I didn't have a 12th grade and they didn't particularly need people. I could have joined if I'd kept bugging them but I found a job soon after and didn't feel like begging someone to go dig latrines.

My point is, uneducated people with no skills often find the military the ONLY job willing to take them in their area. They've gotten kicked out of McDonalds and Wal-Mart doesn't think them the right material for the job and no one trusts them to pump gas but DAMN IF THE MILITARY DON'T WANT A WARM BODY! The military doesn't care if you're a people person or not. The military doesn't ask you to make decisions all by yourself 20,000 times a day, when it could get you fired if you make the wrong one. The military doesn't fire you just before you're eligible for union benefits. The military NEEDS you, unlike just about every other place on earth, and the military recruiter is probably the first person to ever talk to some of those kids like they're actual human beings as opposed to a cog that's missing on a machine. High school today teaches boys to shut up, sit still and obey, which is not a skill that most businesses want out of their employees as they shift more and more responsibility onto their people for less and less pay. Girls are often taught empowerement and fit that mold rather well, boys usually screw up at jobs like that. In the military though? They're perfect! They don't have to think or feel anything and they get to blow crap up and shoot guns! It's like we've trained for this all our lives!

Totally honest here? If I didn't already have the perfect job, I'D be in the military. Why? Because I didn't learn a damn thing in school, I don't know carpentry, being a garbageman seems like too much work and Wal-Mart is for sissies. So what am I left with?

Kerry's right... he's an @!#$ for saying it, but he's right.
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 11:50 AM on j-body.org
^^^^ I agree 100%.

while there are alot of people in the military with some sort of degree, I agree on most joining because they can't get a good job other than the common fast-food, wal-mart, gas stations, etc. I have seen it first time. When I was in highschool, I hung out with a group of about 15 guys/girls. only half of us decided to continue our education. what happened to the other half? you guessed it, they're in the military. Most of them out of NEED, not out of WANT. They have to spend months away from their familly, and yet they make about the same amount of money I make. But I get to work monday - friday. 7 AM - 3 PM. I get all the afternoon to do as I please, and also have saturdays and sundays off. of course, I also go to school, but thats only about 3 hrs a day, 3 days out of the week.
so if u had to pick between a job that makes u leave your familly for months, while also making you do alot of physical work, with the risk of getting killed, as opposed to a m-f job ?

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 12:46 PM on j-body.org
i disagree with ^^^ you 2

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 12:51 PM on j-body.org
In Kerry's defense, Knox and Orlando (the Captain and Sub in Down Periscope??) are pretty much dead-on with their synopsis

Against Kerry though, not everyone joind the military, especially after 9/11, because they have no other choice.

IMHO, this will get Kerry tarred and feathered...or rather, ketchupped and feathered.

And really, the way i see this is this: Any people that were considereing voting for the democrats, for whatever reason, and will now vote republican BECAUSE of this should retroactively abort themselves or get their asses back into civics class. Just because Kerry says it doesn't mean he's indicative of all Democrats.

Kinda like how Nero...er...Bush is not indicative of all republicans. Sure, some like him, Cheney, and Reichart deserve to be shot in the dick with a lawn dart, but not all of them...

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 12:54 PM on j-body.org
i guess it depends on where you live and every person is a different story

i have friends that wanted to go into the military, not because they are stupid, or uneducated
i live in richville, it wasn't because they needed to, they wanted to.
i honestly don't know of any one person that has gone into the military because they needed to

it depends on where you live
i have a great job, and am working towards a great education but i think of joining the forces every once in awhile, maybe to help our country, maybe to make something different of myself, maybe to try something different in life and to extend my knowledge of what this world is truly made of.
there are a lot of reasons people join the military, not just because they need to.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 1:09 PM on j-body.org
after I heard this story, I thought there is no possible way he is going to rerun in 08, just as said before political suicide. I don't know what he was trying to say but it didn't come out right.

On the other hand I love how the media is spinning the hell out of this, but thats the life you live when your in politics.

Some people go into the militray so they CAN go to college. If you agree or disagree with the iraq situation i think his comment was way out of context....even if it was suppose to be a joke.
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 1:55 PM on j-body.org
Maybe he should have told a Priest and a Rabbi joke instead

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 2:24 PM on j-body.org
WannaBzee (aka BadAceDesign) wrote:[quote=Keeper of the Light™]funny...

x2

Lucky for Bush that Kerry got himself into this. Takes the spotlight off of his screwups.

Kerry hasn't become known for his pathological f**king up, and at least he is in high enough esteem that people are paying attention to this.

If this were Bush, this would barely make the news.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 3:44 PM on j-body.org
Jeremy Knox wrote:Well Kerry just commited political suicide. However, what he said was kinda sorta kinda true. More that half of the people who go into the military do so for just about every reason EXCEPT to serve their country.

I agree completely. Of course as in every general statement there are exceptions but this is generally true. College teaches people to think for themselves, look beyond the box, and understand a broad range of subjects, but in the military there's the saying, "Soldiers are trained to follow orders". Heck, even Forrest Gump when asked what he was doing in the army, he replied "To do whatever you tell me to Sargeant!".

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 4:09 PM on j-body.org
Glace wrote:College teaches people to think for themselves, look beyond the box, and understand a broad range of subjects

you tell one of the guys working down in the mainspace in a ship, below the waterline, next to a turbine engine bigger that 2 J-bodies end to end, to look beyond the box and see what happens. when you're depending on 10 people, 100 people, or on the case of a Navy ship, 1500+ people to keep you alive, you don't "think outside the box", and you certainly don't want anyone else to.
yes, there are exceptions to the rule. I was involved in several R&D sessions for a computer mainframe on my first ship, and gave several "outside the box" suggestions that were taken into account on the new build.

now, I did join the Navy because I came from a poor family. I knew that there was no way in hell I was going to afford college, and I didn't want to go $65,000 in debt to get a 4 year degree. I went into the Navy for work experience. bootcamp, however, is what instilled my patriotism in me. a majority of the people I knew were in the same situation. I met extremely few people that were utterly ignorant, but it was obvious that it was their choice to be that way.

Kerry should not have said that, whether jokingly or not.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 5:20 PM on j-body.org
I don't care for whatever reason you joined the military, I don't care about your educations level (bare with me for a second), they are there defending my country. Even though I have 3 years of college teaching which may be more than alot of soldiers out there, BUT, I'm not joining the military cause I don't have the balls to go and fight, and you can be DAMN SURE I appreciate the people that risk or give their lives for my country and saftey, and I'm not going to be calling them stupid. Being in the military is not a demeaning position. Things that you would learn in the military would be just as important. Do you know how many brilliant people I know that can't manage to show up on work on time, or can be depended on like people I know that have been in the military. I would rather hire a person from the military that doesn't meet all the requirements for the position, than a genius who is not there when they say they are going to be. Character flaws do not over shadow brains. Thats not to say people in the military are not educated, in fact I think thats just the opposite, I know of more than one person is going to school through the military. I can't imagine having the balls to insult a person in the armed forces, just the risk that they make on a daily basis makes them invaluable to me, and the entire company. And for John Kerry to initally take the stance of not apologizing to maybe even possibly insulting our troops shows that that man has no back bone. He is a coward, a slacker, and doesn't have the balls to run a country.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 6:51 PM on j-body.org
JimmyZ wrote:

That picture is still making me laugh!!

I guess that Kerry did apologize later today, which I give 1/2 credit for.....

As for the Republicans using this "scandal" for their agenda....wth does anyone think the Dems would have done if a Repub. had said this joke...the absolute same thing...but the media would have ok'd it.

Oh, well thats how politics go I guess.

ShiftyCav wrote:thats probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard. you should take that serpentine belt and wrap it around your neck.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 6:56 PM on j-body.org
It's one of those things you see when someone is absent minded...

To use a play on Agustin's analogy:
You say to your wife, I love you,
she says, me too....

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:53 PM on j-body.org
Glace wrote:
Jeremy Knox wrote:Well Kerry just commited political suicide. However, what he said was kinda sorta kinda true. More that half of the people who go into the military do so for just about every reason EXCEPT to serve their country.

I agree completely. Of course as in every general statement there are exceptions but this is generally true. College teaches people to think for themselves, look beyond the box, and understand a broad range of subjects, but in the military there's the saying, "Soldiers are trained to follow orders". Heck, even Forrest Gump when asked what he was doing in the army, he replied "To do whatever you tell me to Sargeant!".

Think for themselves? Think outside the box? I've lived on my own for about a year now, off base. I take care of everything of my own financially and have no ties to my parents financially. Hows that for thinking for myself? How many 19 year old college students can say the same?

As far as thinking outside the box? I can tell you plenty of situations where myself and the crew of the sub I was riding were forced to think outside the box to form solutions to problems that could cost us a lot.

People who have never served in the military can not even grasp the level of intelligence of some service members. Our Nuclear rates who learn the equivalent to a bachelors in just 2 years of school. Our intel guys like myself who learn half the knowledge required for a communications degree in about 8 months, and not just the knowledge side of it the practical side as well. Thats one thing you'll never learn in college, practical work experience. I do my job every day and when I hit my 4 year mark could choose to get out and do it as a civilian for easily 75,000$ or higher STARTING OUT at age 21. Tell me I'd have a 75,000$ starting job with 4 years of college and I'll tell you you're full of a lot more than @!#$.

I joined the military not because I'm dumb, (in fact I scored in the top 1% of my high school on my SAT's), not because I was from a poor family, but just to serve my country and to see the world. Is that so hard to believe?
I also didn't want to be one of tens of thousands of people every year who graduate with a 4 year degree in a job field that is so saturated they won't find work, or better yet, will find work and be making LESS than what I'm making now.

Am I Scoffing at educated people? No, I eventually plan to go to college and get my degree while still on active duty. It just really gets to me to hear people talk down on service members like this. Remember people like myself the other on this board who have served, and our other men and women of the armed forces are the reason you can live in a free country and go to the college of your choice, and say the things you say about us.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search