so why is modding a sport? - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: so why is modding a sport?
Monday, March 06, 2006 4:41 AM on j-body.org
bliZsham wrote:
Niceguy4186 wrote:modding is by no means a sport. And as most people here, i don't believe anything that is judged qualifies as a sport.

A while back, my friends and i were having a drunken debate about what qualifies a sport or not. Here is what i remember;

1. Must be a highly physical activity between two or more individuals or teams. (takes out games like chess and "sports" like curling) (does nascar count as highly physical activity?)

2. Score must be obtained by a precise measurable way to show a clear winner. (aka, no judges)

3. One's actions will cause direct effect on the other other team's actions (takes out golf) *only problem with this is that this takes out track and frield, and we all believed that should be counted

there might of been one or two more rules, but i can't remember

The actual definition of sport is competitive, physical activity, with a set of governing rules. It has nothing to do with being "highly physical" and has nothing to do with your actions having an affect on the other competitors. In other words, your drunken debate was exactly that... a drunken debate.

Yes i know it was a drunken debate, but it doesn't mean that it is any less true. We tried to define a sport as what it should be. The problem with the "actual definition" is that it does include everything as a sport. We included "highly physical" because as someone pointed out, bowling is a physical activity. Billiards is a physical activity. Depending on your definition of physical, chess is a physical activity. Should any of these count?
We included the part about having a direct effect on the competitor because 1, to again discredit anything involving judges, planned routine, ect. and 2. If I play a round of golf last week, and you play a round of golf this week, and then we compare the scores, did we engage in a sporting competition? What if you started your game at 7am, where i started mine at noon?

To make another case against ref's vs judges. In a perfect game, where no fowls were committed, you could show a tape to 10 different refs, and each one would call it exactly the same. If you showed a tape of an ice skater to 10 different judges, each one could give out a different score.

also, another rule we made that i forgot to include, "if being in your physical prime is a disadvantage, then it is not a sport" (just to discredit 16 year old gymastic stars)

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie

Monday, March 06, 2006 5:22 AM on j-body.org
Its a hobby not a sport.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, March 06, 2006 8:10 AM on j-body.org
IMNSHO gold is not a sport, and I know i'm going to piss of a percentage of old guys who wear plaid pants. I consider it a pastime.

If you weant to make golf a sport, either add (a) Goailies or (b) Landmines.

And nice guy said what i was trying to say about objective vs. subjective judges.

However, i will let golf slide under "sports", but i'm putting my foot down at hunting and fishing. Those are not, nor will ever be sports. Unless they give the fish torpedoes during the Bassmasters, or if they makes these hunters hunt a bear with a swiss army nife, then there's nothing sporting about it.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, March 06, 2006 8:19 AM on j-body.org
I have to agree. Playing fetch with yourself is not a sport. Hunting would be if they had a red team and a blue team. The red team tries to get the deer and the blue team tries to defend the deer / get the red team. That would make hunting fun. But sitting all day in the freezing woods with a rifle lookinh to play snipper on furry woodland critters IS NOT a sport. Neither is fishing. They are both for gaining food.

Monday, March 06, 2006 11:13 AM on j-body.org
Yea, hunting and fishing aren't sports. "Bassmasters" is a competition, because they're trying to catch a bigger fish than the next guy, but it's not a sport.

Golf is a sport started by lazy people who don't have a dog. I throw a ball, my dog brings it back. People without a dog have to go get the ball themselves, and they're too lazy to bend over to pick it up so they hit it with a stick.

Landmines on a golf course... LOL!!

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Monday, March 06, 2006 11:16 AM on j-body.org
actually the nice thing about golf is that it is a sport. There is no judging, just overpaid guys talking about what's happening.

I consider a sport anything whose outcome is not determined by a subjective opinion, only facts. So you could actually consider a sport to be anything with a scientifically measureable outcome.

Car A got the fastest time, Car A is the winner
As opposed to.
Car A looked cooler so Car A is the winner

Autox, Drag Racing, Nascar, Road Racing are sports

Drifting is Not.

Just because something isn't a sport doesn't mean it isn't a competition and ultimately none of this is important to argue. As long as you enjoy and feel competitive in what your doing, then no one should care or judge, as long as it doesn't negatively affect others (not leaving this one open).

-Chris

Monday, March 06, 2006 11:20 AM on j-body.org
And further, participating in a skill competition that is not a "sport" doesn't demean it in any way.

Oh, and as for bassmasters...couldn't you just see some fisherman in his bass boat when down the lake a periscope pops up, and then you see a bubble trail heading straight for the bass boat from the periscope, and KA-BOOOM!!!! Fisherman goes flying.

And as for hunting...well, just flashback to the Kangaroo scene from Crocodiel Dundee...

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, March 06, 2006 12:29 PM on j-body.org
IamRascal wrote:actually the nice thing about golf is that it is a sport. There is no judging, just overpaid guys talking about what's happening.

I consider a sport anything whose outcome is not determined by a subjective opinion, only facts. So you could actually consider a sport to be anything with a scientifically measureable outcome.

I agree with this as well. In my opinion, a spelling bee is more of a sport than boxing.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Monday, March 06, 2006 12:57 PM on j-body.org
Golf is definitely a sport... Carry a 30 lb bag on your back, for 4-5 hours, up and down hills for 3-5 miles.

Monday, March 06, 2006 1:19 PM on j-body.org
One word for you. CADDIE

Monday, March 06, 2006 2:20 PM on j-body.org
Glace wrote:I agree with this as well. In my opinion, a spelling bee is more of a sport than boxing.

Hmmm... Interesting concept, boxing uses judges so it's subjective not objective. But a winner could be determined by a knock-out, which takes the judges out of the loop.

-----
What if we combined a spelling bee and boxing? If you get a word wrong, someone hits you. In the Mike Tyson Spelling Bee, you miss a word, you lose an ear!
----

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto

Monday, March 06, 2006 2:22 PM on j-body.org
So what do you people call an acutal sport and others a compitition?

What are sports? What are merely a compitition?

Don't mean to jack the thread, but it's going in this direction. Just want to see their opinions.

And modding a car is a hobby.

Monday, March 06, 2006 4:16 PM on j-body.org
you're not jacking. civilized conversation/ discussion can evolve

i was just curious to begin with and it's a valid question Jason

Monday, March 06, 2006 10:28 PM on j-body.org
ToBoGgAn wrote:that's the question. why do people consider modding cars a sport? for those of you that do, do you consider curling an equal sport?

don't get me wrong i understand modding a car is all about personal gratification, or in other cases acceptance, but do you really consider it a sport?

modding a car for speed and something that can be measured against something else i can see, but modding for visual reasons i see as more of a popularity contest than a sport.

i guess if you really think about it it is more like the all-star game.

liket o hear comments

wouldnt consider it a sport more or less.

a hobby and a past time more so....

mainly cause its based on asthetics of which some never do the modding themselves.

the racing part, yea, thats skill involved, so i can see it as a sport.

but i agree with ya, popularity contest, past time or hobby really.

in comparison, in bodybuilding they atleast have to do the work themselves....

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 7:23 PM on j-body.org
Good to see you're still around Art

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search