so why is modding a sport? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
so why is modding a sport?
Saturday, March 04, 2006 11:27 PM on j-body.org
that's the question. why do people consider modding cars a sport? for those of you that do, do you consider curling an equal sport?

don't get me wrong i understand modding a car is all about personal gratification, or in other cases acceptance, but do you really consider it a sport?

modding a car for speed and something that can be measured against something else i can see, but modding for visual reasons i see as more of a popularity contest than a sport.

i guess if you really think about it it is more like the all-star game.

liket o hear comments

Re: so why is modding a sport?
Saturday, March 04, 2006 11:36 PM on j-body.org
modding a car is like masturbation......you should only do it to please yourself

so unless masturbation is considered a sport, then modding isn't a sport

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Sunday, March 05, 2006 1:21 AM on j-body.org
well rodimus may consider masturbation a sport

Sunday, March 05, 2006 2:03 AM on j-body.org
it's a hobby, not a sport.

racing would be a sport, due to the competition... so building an engine for that purpose would be like training for that sport. but i wouldn't call the actual modification process a sport.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 2:07 AM on j-body.org
Curling is a lot more of a sport than car moddingm because you're competing against another rink to score points in a group of games of skill (called Ends).

There is a defined way to score points, and, there is no subjectivity in the scoring of the points.

The moment you introduce a subjective score, you're no longer dealing in sport. Which is why I don't call figure skating a sport. It's a popularity contest. Until you have a speed contest, you're not dealing in a sport, its a beauty pageant.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 2:21 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Which is why I don't call figure skating a sport. It's a popularity contest.

popularity contest? it's a skill contest. each skater (or pair of skaters) does their routine to the best of their abilities and are rated on their performance. those who rate higher, win. it's still a sport.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 3:18 AM on j-body.org
Nancy Kerrigan, Lilehammer 1994... Didn't skate a program of even regional diffuculty, and she wins a medal, it's only silver, but still the program wasn't anything close to Oksana Baiul.

Sale & Pelletier, Salt Lake City 2002... Flawless program in short and free skate, because of one judge, they got booted from the gold... THE RUSSIANS FELL ON THEIR ASSES AT THE END OF THE PROGRAM...

Cannon, please, it's not a contest of skill, maybe in a perfect world it is, but this little place called reality defies that notion. The moment you ask a group of people to subjectively judge the execution of a maneuver, you introduce not just wiggle room, you've got a wide opening for point skewing. The Russian pairs, Kerrigan, you name it. Scoring is subjective, and nothing can change that. Sports have definite outcomes based on play, and scoring is definite, you either have a point, you do not. There's no half-measures, and you don't need a person giving their opinion on a scale of 1-10.

All I gotta say about figure skating.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 3:29 AM on j-body.org
so you're basing the entire sport off of two instances?

let's talk football then... are you going to let a couple bad calls keep you from calling it a sport? or a couple fights prevent hockey from being anything other than a simple melee rather than a sport?

come on.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 7:47 AM on j-body.org
I consider a sport something that has a set way to keep score. In football in you score a touchdown it's 6 points, no more no less. A basket in basketball is two points, you don't get more if the judges decided you nad some extra style while dunking the ball. In racing, the car that crosses the finish line before all the other cars wins, it has nothing to do with how good he looks crossing. I'm not saying that figure skaters aren't athletes, they are and very good ones, but figure skating isn't a sport. Modding a car isn't a sport and I don't think I've ever heard it called a sport, it's a hobby.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 8:21 AM on j-body.org
Michael Wilbon said, and i agree with him, that if there are judges, its not a sport.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 10:17 AM on j-body.org
It's not a sport. It's Art.
It is definitely a competition. It is certainly a valid form of competition. Why discredit it?

Figure skating is a competition. It is expressive as well as technical (A lot of art has technical framework) It's art. You can compete against other artists to win the favor of your audience and take reward and notoriety. Audiences are never consistent. Modern Art wasn't accepted at first but look how popular Impressionism, Surrealism, Kandinsky, Pollock... have become.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 10:42 AM on j-body.org
Popularity doesn't equal best though Just look at some of the pop music artists and tell me with a straight face that they are all the best musicians far and a way of this generation.

And if you beleive that, i have some land near Cherynobl that i want to sell you.

I will agree with GAM that any competition where you're relying on a judges interpretation is less of a sport and more of an art. Even looking at car shows, you're dealing with a group's subjective opinion that soley determine's the outcome, unlike Footbal, Hockey, Baseball, Basketball, etc, where a bad call can influence the game, but it does not in the whole contribute to the outcome.

Let's put it this way: Basketball is a sport--the slam dunk contest right around the all-star game isn't.

I would consider curling more of a sport than golf (i consider golf a pasttime, not a sport).

Fishing and hunting aren't sports--no matter what the enthusiasts say. Take out a deer with your bare hands (has been done) and then we'll call it a sport--or fish with a metal rod, and a metal line and go after electric eels and we'll call it a sport.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Sunday, March 05, 2006 11:14 AM on j-body.org
i just have read posts on here (the .org) where people have referred to car modding or the tuner "scene" as a sport and just wondered if i was alone in my thinking it was indeed not a sport.

don't get me wrong i really like to see all types of things modded in all different ways, i just don't understand the way some people are about it.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 12:00 PM on j-body.org
modding is by no means a sport. And as most people here, i don't believe anything that is judged qualifies as a sport.

A while back, my friends and i were having a drunken debate about what qualifies a sport or not. Here is what i remember;

1. Must be a highly physical activity between two or more individuals or teams. (takes out games like chess and "sports" like curling) (does nascar count as highly physical activity?)

2. Score must be obtained by a precise measurable way to show a clear winner. (aka, no judges)

3. One's actions will cause direct effect on the other other team's actions (takes out golf) *only problem with this is that this takes out track and frield, and we all believed that should be counted

there might of been one or two more rules, but i can't remember

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie

Sunday, March 05, 2006 1:30 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

1. Must be a highly physical activity between two or more individuals or teams. (takes out games like chess and "sports" like curling) (does nascar count as highly physical activity?)

sitting in a car for 3-4 hours, going 180-200 mph with 43 other people around you. what do you think?

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, March 05, 2006 1:44 PM on j-body.org
Nascar:

Sport: yes.

Severe Mulletude: Yes

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Sunday, March 05, 2006 2:11 PM on j-body.org
you would have to define "judge" very well

Sunday, March 05, 2006 2:41 PM on j-body.org
Niceguy4186 wrote:modding is by no means a sport. And as most people here, i don't believe anything that is judged qualifies as a sport.

A while back, my friends and i were having a drunken debate about what qualifies a sport or not. Here is what i remember;

2. Score must be obtained by a precise measurable way to show a clear winner. (aka, no judges)

3. One's actions will cause direct effect on the other other team's actions (takes out golf) *only problem with this is that this takes out track and frield, and we all believed that should be counted

there might of been one or two more rules, but i can't remember

The actual definition of sport is competitive, physical activity, with a set of governing rules. It has nothing to do with being "highly physical" and has nothing to do with your actions having an affect on the other competitors. In other words, your drunken debate was exactly that... a drunken debate.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 2:45 PM on j-body.org
Discrediting an activity as being a "sport" based on having judges is foolish. What about referees in hockey or football games? They can manipulate the competition just as easily as a judge at a diving or figure skating event. Every sport has referees, which are essentially judges. Just because they're not giving 9's or 8's doesn't mean they don't have a direct effect on the outcome of the game.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 5:01 PM on j-body.org
Would Bowling be a sport? It has clear rules, points and no judges. But you don't have to be physically fit to be competitive. You can bowl very well with a cigar in one hand and a brew in the other. Same could be said of billiards.

And referees can influence the outcome of a game, but their job is to enforce rules, not evaluate gracefullnes and style like a judge does.

If you're building a car to putt around on the street, it's a hobby, but if you take it to the track and race it's a sport.

Mikec2003 wrote:modding a car is like masturbation......you should only do it to please yourself

so unless masturbation is considered a sport, then modding isn't a sport

Depends on if you're competing for "distance and accuracy" or "form and style".
Maybe this could be an olympic event...
I'll never think of skeet shooting the same way again!

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Sunday, March 05, 2006 5:14 PM on j-body.org
You're thinking objective vs. subjective.

IMHO a sujective judge that determines the final out come in the primary sense is not a sport--it's an exhibition, or an art. It doesn't mean that the competitors aren't athletes in any sense, though.

If it's like hockey, or football, the refs only have a secondary or a teritiary impact on the outcome--the primary effect on the outcome is the players hemseles as they play against each other, not whether or not the ref approves or disapproves of a team. If you're on a hockey team that's beating the other team 9-0, no matter how much the ref hates you, it's not going to affect the outcome--if you legally score, the goals will count.

If you cut off a judge to a diving competition on the freeway, that sinks your chances. they have a direct outcome. Your performance, as much as it deals with you having the skill to do it, rides soley on how well the judges see your performance, not how well you actually do.

My $.02

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD

Sunday, March 05, 2006 5:51 PM on j-body.org
The rules in sports such as figure skating are just as clear cut as those of other sports. Especially now after the debacle that happened with the Canadian/Russian couples.

Objective vs subjective? I've seen plenty of bad calls, that have influenced the outcomes of numerous team games in just about every sport there is. Hockey, or baseball, or football... the list goes on. It's not if you actually DID hold the guy or obstructed him illegally; it's how the referees happened to see it. What amount of pressure constitutes a hold, do you have to inhibit progress, or is any amount of grabbing illegal? Or what exactly is an interference penalty, what constitutes impeding the opponent's progress? How about a horse-collar tackle? Every single penalty called in any sporting event is no more objective or subjective than any other rule in any other sport... Unless it is clear-cut (shooting the puck over the glass from inside your own zone results in a 2 minute penalty).

All I'm trying to say is, using the word art to describe figure skating, instead of sport is an unfair assessment of what is actually being done. As you said, they are without a doubt atheletes, so why try to discredit what they're doing? Sports are competitive, physical activites w/ rules. It fits that mold just as well as any other sport in the world.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 6:28 PM on j-body.org
What if you mod a car to compete in a Car Show or a Series of Car Shows? It is judged and you can even bust your butt to keep it clean and looking good.

Now I am not saying it is a "Sport" but it is a competition.

Also Golf is a sport.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 7:09 PM on j-body.org
I would say golf is a sport, the one with the lowest score wins, simple as that. I was thinking earlier about a spelling bee. Sport? You have one winner, the person that spells all the words right. The judges don't score them on how well the pronounce the words so there isn't any subjectivity to it. I guess it can be called a sport, in a very loose sense of the word.

Monday, March 06, 2006 4:07 AM on j-body.org
car show = beauty pageant

sorry, no sport there.

golf i can give the sport badge to.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search