Operation Slap Shot - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Operation Slap Shot
Monday, February 13, 2006 3:19 PM on j-body.org
Operation Slap Shot Story

I'm sure most of you know about this with the media frenzy that has been going non stop since this story broke.

I feel that it is wrong how this case is more or less being tried in the media. Yes, it is an interesting story, it has all the pieces needed to be a big seller. Famous sports stars, hollywood, corrupt law enforcement and even ties to the mafia. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a movie one day.

I'm not saying that any of who is involved should get special treatment because of who they are. This thing is getting out of hand because of who is involved. Wayne is being drug into this when so far, there is no proof at all that he was directly involved in any way.

How can the media get away with this? I'm surprised that there havent already been lawsuits filed against those New Jersey papers.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Re: Operation Slap Shot
Monday, February 13, 2006 3:44 PM on j-body.org
Yea, funny how people are quick to draw their own conclusions without getting all the facts straight. (see: WMD's).

Is there any acusation of point shaving going on, or is this just a few dudes making bets?

As far as lawsuits, the facts have to be in first. If the people named are indicted, or if there are in fact tapes of Wayne and the boys having conversations, then no slander happened.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Monday, February 13, 2006 4:28 PM on j-body.org
So far there hasen't been any proof that any bets were placed on hockey. The bets placed, as far as anyone else knows were on other sports besides hockey primarily the super bowl game.

Quote:

As far as lawsuits, the facts have to be in first. If the people named are indicted, or if there are in fact tapes of Wayne and the boys having conversations, then no slander happened.

Wayne was named because it is believed that his Wife Janet Jones / Gretzky had placed bets.

There was an audio tape of Wayne talking with Tocchet about how Janet could possibly avoid being named in conjuction with the gambling ring. The dates that were published by a New Jersey paper were inaccurate of when this conversation took place, this made it seem like Wayne had previous knowledge of the ring when he had stated the opposite in interviews previously.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Monday, February 13, 2006 5:06 PM on j-body.org
I just find it funny that the cops chose to give the sting the same name as a Paul Newman Movie. I wondered if they'd indicted the Hansen Brothers.

Seriously, I think it's overly hyped...

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, February 13, 2006 8:23 PM on j-body.org
Its a shame how the media portrays it, I just hope that a great like Gretzky doesnt have anything to do with it.

Monday, February 13, 2006 10:23 PM on j-body.org
Strange that it comes on the heels of the Olympic games eh !?
makes you kinda wonder a little ....

Canada will win gold regardless !!

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:47 AM on j-body.org
It's the American media. I lost all respect for them (especially CNN) after that chick went missing in Cuba.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 11:13 AM on j-body.org
[quote=€zTrīp]Strange that it comes on the heels of the Olympic games eh !?
makes you kinda wonder a little ....

DUDE!!!! Where the hell have you been?

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 12:47 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

I hope so, it is definitely a distraction. Not only for Gretzky but for the rest of the team as well. There are alot of teams who will be in contention maybe 5 or 6 who could win the thing. I can't wait, it will be some great hockey.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 1:27 PM on j-body.org
Peeks in realizes its only aboot ( ) hockey and leaves.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 5:22 PM on j-body.org
Bah... Football, Baseball and Basketball are for pansies.

Hockey is the fastest, hardest hitting and most technically demanding sport of all. Everything else is checkers with hitting or 35 guys engaging in limp-wristed slappy fights.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 6:24 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Bah... Football, Baseball and Basketball are for pansies.

Hockey is the fastest, hardest hitting and most technically demanding sport of all. Everything else is checkers with hitting or 35 guys engaging in limp-wristed slappy fights.

Once I went to a fight, and out of no where a hockey game broke out.

Hockey is OK, if you like soccer on ice. It's where guys who are too wimpy for Rugby go.

Baseball? *yawn*.
What happens in baseball that makes the front page of the newspaper? A no-hitter.
That's right, nothing happened for half the game. Just the pitcher and catcher tossing a ball back and forth... and nothing happens...back and forth, back and forth.....zzzzzzzzzzz....

Basketball games should only play the last 2 minutes, that's all that really matters anyway. The game should start with the scores 90 to 90, then they play for 2 minutes.

The only football I watch is the Browns, and there's very few opportunities to cheer when you watch the Browns play. That is, unless you've bet against them.

UFC and boxing are my sports to watch. The objective of both sports is to render your opponent unconcious or make him surrender.
The objective of Hockey is to put a burned bagel into a net. It's figure skating with food.

Maybe I'd watch Hockey if they were allowed to use their sticks to club the guy with the puck. Then I'd say that Hockey is the toughest sport.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:09 PM on j-body.org
Hockey isn't all about fighting... and I don't see how it's soccer on ice... you can't kick the puck in to score a goal. Can you follow the puck? Seriously, try getting hit in the face by a soccer ball... you'll live... Try it with a puck (and realise it'll go 90mph) and see how you're smiling afterwards.

It's faster than any other sport, and you have to have more dexterity on account of the skates and the stick. It's rougher if you consider that the boards and nets have no padding on them, and they're always there, not like football, if you hit something solid it'd be purely by luck. If you watch how some of the guys play, it's a wonder their hands don't get chopped off... look at how long the gauntlet on the glove is compared to 30 years ago. Getting slashed 15-20 times a game is no picnic... neither is being crosschecked or speared.

Basketball isn't bad, but it is soccer on a court...
Baseball was supplanted by masturbation as the national passtime...

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:44 AM on j-body.org
Gam, I'm not into sports at all. Hockey isn't the only thing I think is a monumental waste of time. Hemingway put it best when he wrote " There are only three true sports in the world. Automobile Racing, Bull Fighting, and Mountain Climbing. The rest are only childrens games that grown men play." Or something very close to that. But you get the idea.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:35 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:
Baseball was supplanted by masturbation as the national passtime...

LMAO! I just thought of what the "7th inning stretch" would be like!

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 11:27 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Hockey is OK, if you like soccer on ice. It's where guys who are too wimpy for Rugby go.

I've played both. Rugby... yeah it takes a tough person to play but it isn't nearly as demanding and you don't get hit near as hard in rugby. Hitting someone when you're going 20 / 25 mph is alot different than when you're running, its simple physics. Speed, finess, agility, toughness and conditioning are at way higher levels than your other sports such as rugby, football, soccer, basketball etc...

Football compares in the area of contact because they are hitting every play, but they are also taking a break after every play, smacking eachother on the ass and there are no boards to get smashed or run into.

Hockey is one of the only sports that you need to develop a skill before you can even try to play it. For example. I am positive that any professional hockey player would do better on a rugby field, football field or basketball court in comparison to how any of those athletes would do on the ice.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 12:09 PM on j-body.org
Gee whiz... Take one cheap shot (ok, several cheap shots) about hockey, and everyone acts like I drew a moustache on a picture of the Pope!

John Wilken wrote:The objective of Hockey is to put a burned bagel into a net. It's figure skating with food.

Admit it, that's funny....

What's next, protests and riots over the cartoon I'm working on that shows Gretzky with a turban made out of betting slips?

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 12:21 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

What's next, protests and riots over the cartoon I'm working on that shows Gretzky with a turban made out of betting slips?

You don't understand the ramifications that would ensue. An actual war could take place!!! lol.

You must understand... when dealing with Canadians, hockey isn't a sport as much as it is a religion. We will defend our sport to the death if necessary.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 10:16 PM on j-body.org
Yeah.. the problems with al-quaeda will seem pleasant in comparison to a bunch of pissed off Canucks

Jack: My faithful tool Google brought me this missive:
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway.

Let's not forget that this was said by a man that never stood infront of a 6 oz piece of vulcanised rubber that was fired at him @ 90 mph.

Also, he never raced, fought bulls or climbed any mountains.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 10:23 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:

DUDE!!!! Where the hell have you been?

I decided to do something useful with myself ....
I've been lurking in and out JBO from time to time,
just not posting because I'm lazy and to damned bagged these last
few months to say anything.

I've been doing some specialty work .. I can't
say much more ... Honestly . great money though ..

Graden wrote:

You don't understand the ramifications that would ensue. An actual war could take place!!! lol.

You must understand... when dealing with Canadians, hockey isn't a sport as much as it is a religion.
We will defend our sport to the death if necessary.

Yeah !..... and I'd like to add that, Canadians
can kick anyone's @ss ...
and we don't need armour and weapons to do it !
every Canadian has access to hockey equipment.

We can lay down heavy suppression fire with a barrage of frozen puck's
or cow patty's and when there heads are down we can rush em, we can
stick -handle some of them to death or pull there uniforms over there heads
and land a few hay-makers .... and BTW we can do all of this, in time
it takes a ref to figure out just what the f**k is really going on behind the play,
and blow the whistle ...

Another true Canadian fact !

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 10:48 PM on j-body.org
Russia got beat not be Reagan dumping billions into the military.. they got BEAT on home ice by a bunch of long-hair Canucks!

Thursday, February 16, 2006 6:44 AM on j-body.org
True Gam but it does not change the fact.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 8:11 PM on j-body.org
The fact that Hemingway wasn't a sportsman? No.. it doesn't.

Sunday, February 19, 2006 7:27 AM on j-body.org
Played hockey for 18 years of my life and rugby for 5 years. I must say, there is no comparing the two, hockey is by far the more physical, tougher, faster, harder hitting and intense game. Look at it this way, lets count the injuries I have suffered from each sport I played.

Rugby - None in five years as a starting flanker.

Hockey - Stitches in 7 places on my face, 3 on my hands. Broken every finger on my left hand, two on my right. 3 missing teeth, torn ACL left knee, broken collar bone, torn rotor cuff, and more bumps and bruises then I could possibly count.

So ya, I really don't think that rugby, or any other sport has much on hockey. Does anyone remember what happened when those football players tried to do a basic set of hockey drills?

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Sunday, February 19, 2006 7:52 AM on j-body.org
"Rugby - None in five years as a starting flanker"

that's cause you were a flanker

i played tight head prop fro 6 years
2 concusions, 1 dislocated shoulder, 9 stiches, and strained acl

and coutnless eyes gouges, nut kicks, etc

plus i did manage to break some guys collar bone in 3 places with a hit off a lineout

i never had a "serious" injury in hockey, now mind you i did wear linebacker shoulder pads ,and soccer shin pads backwards on my calves, when i played

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search