Christmas...bah humbog - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Christmas...bah humbog
Saturday, December 24, 2005 3:49 AM on j-body.org
I say bah humbog not cause I hate Christmas but I hate how some people act torwards Christmas and how the American culture displays Christmas. People give, give and give and everyone expects a gift. It's like...hell, your local bus driver wants a gift cause he drives your ass everyday, then your mail man, then your garbage man...the list keeps going.

It's even harder for me now than years ago. When I was younger into teens, I never bought gifts or not many (just for my mom and sister) cause I was either not working or couldn't afford to. Well now that I'm 21, I have a full time job, I'm afraid that everyone is going to expect a gift from me. It's bad enough that I can barely pay bills right now but now Christmas is days away and now everyone wants a gift.

It's not that I don't want to buy them a gift, it's just that this week and the week before I couldn't. Some of you know that I was saving up for a turbo setup and buying parts individually. Well, money got messed up and things came up so my Christmas money was no long Christmas money after I had already bought some parts.

I ATLEAST want to buy my mother and my son something but it's just freakin' hard....this Christmas is really rough...

Am I the only one? Am I wrong for thinking the way I am?

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Re: Christmas...bah humbog
Saturday, December 24, 2005 6:23 AM on j-body.org
dude, i hate it when people think that all christmas is about giving gifts. hell, this is the first year in my life that i've been able to buy a really good gift for anyone, and that's a digital photo printer for my sister. my family couldn't care less if i got a lot of stuff for them, i know they are more than happy for me to come home for a few days and have a good time. i don't get to see them as much anymore, so one of the best gifts i can give is just spending time with them.

don't worry about being able to give them anything tangable, but just be happy that you have a great family. that's one of the best gifts you can have.

Saturday, December 24, 2005 7:36 AM on j-body.org
Christmas is deff turning into something I'd say BAH HUMBUG to. Its being so comercialized and basterdized by all these PC freaks who say we can't say Christmas cause it may offend someone. TOUGH SH-T if offends someone! I'm not gonna go around walking on egg shells not trying to offend everyone and make myself miserable at the same time, so if my saying Merry Christmas offends you then be offended.

All it is anymore is about presents.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Saturday, December 24, 2005 9:19 AM on j-body.org
Yea, presents are for kids, my mailman makes more than I do so he's getting a warm handshake and a heartfelt "Merry Christmas" from me.

Today I'm going to play "The Grinch that stole Christmas" for the kids, but I'm going to stop the tape right after the Grinch steals all the presents and toys. Then when the kids go to bed, I'm taking down the tree and scattering some ripped up wrapping paper on the floor. Tomorrow morning they'll see this and I'll say "Gee, looks like the Grinch was here. Anyone want to watch football with me?"

Yea, that's the plan... LOL!

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Saturday, December 24, 2005 10:01 AM on j-body.org
i honestly don't understand why people get so...DUMB...this time of year. the sad thing is, i got swept up in it, and i'm finding it hard to keep my temper today just from outside stresses driving me bonkers.

i moved right before thanksgiving, and my mom's driven me insane with some of her requests...then, because of my stress with the whole new job thing(and worrying about when i'll actually get to start, since i'm running out of money...), i've put everything off to the last minute. i went to be at 3 am because i had to make a cheesecake for the family...and that ended up burned, because the oven was too hot...then i had to get up and clean my dishes, since i was too tired to do them last night...and i still had to wrap everything for my parents this morning.

couple that with not being able to see Scruf this month, and everything just gets worse(in my overly pessimistic, OMGTHEWORLDWILLEND mindset).

when i worked in direct customer service, i never really enjoyed christmas...because it's so overmarketed. now that i'm not in retail or any sort of ouside customer service position, i was hoping this year would be the first in awhile that would actually be christmasy, but it wasn't...and i fear every year is going to continue to be the same.

bleh...i need a way to get out of this rut.

don't like me? tell me what you think of me in chat
Saturday, December 24, 2005 10:23 AM on j-body.org
HAH!!! BUMHUG!!!!

Okay, on a serious note, I budget for Christmas, and I usually have everything bought and paid for in July. Yes, I'm serious.

I usually buy about $50 for everyone (Mom, Dad, Sister, GF), and it usually ends up in gift cards that don't expire. For my friends, I usually buy a card, if that, and for my boss at work, the gang pools some money and buys something nice... everyone contributes about $5 or whatever they want.

You don't need to spend a lot of money, or any money at all... When I was laid off, I didn't buy anything except blank cards and wrote a personal thank you note... It came out to about $30 total. No one said a bad word and I didn't feel like a cheap-ass. You give what you can.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, December 25, 2005 12:28 AM on j-body.org
I feel the same way, things have become over-commercialized and at times I feel as if people are obligated to purchase gifts. This Christmas hasn't been the best for me but I'm just trying to keep cool, calm, and at least try to enjoy the time off that I have from college. GAM makes a good point, you do what you can. I no longer have a job and I have a total of $88 in my bank account. I still tried to buy some nice presents this year and think about what might be thoughtful for who, but the entire Christmas atmosphere has changed in this country. When I bought a gift for my girlfriend at Old Navy, I honestly felt as if the cashier was judging me by how much I bought (she had helped me find some stuff I couldn't seem to find, so she knew how it was a gift for my g/f). I don't know, I guess it all comes down to what kind of person you are and how well you can resist thinking on such a material level.

And I totally agree with GAM - Hah! Bumhug!! Hahahahaha.

Blown.
Sunday, December 25, 2005 9:58 AM on j-body.org
NJHK (That Black Guy) wrote:I say bah humbog not cause I hate Christmas but I hate how some people act torwards Christmas and how the American culture displays Christmas. People give, give and give and everyone expects a gift. It's like...hell, your local bus driver wants a gift cause he drives your ass everyday, then your mail man, then your garbage man...the list keeps going.

It's even harder for me now than years ago. When I was younger into teens, I never bought gifts or not many (just for my mom and sister) cause I was either not working or couldn't afford to. Well now that I'm 21, I have a full time job, I'm afraid that everyone is going to expect a gift from me. It's bad enough that I can barely pay bills right now but now Christmas is days away and now everyone wants a gift.

It's not that I don't want to buy them a gift, it's just that this week and the week before I couldn't. Some of you know that I was saving up for a turbo setup and buying parts individually. Well, money got messed up and things came up so my Christmas money was no long Christmas money after I had already bought some parts.

I ATLEAST want to buy my mother and my son something but it's just freakin' hard....this Christmas is really rough...

Am I the only one? Am I wrong for thinking the way I am?

this is one of those FEW times in life where you HATE THE PLAYER....NOT THE GAME...

technically a gift is a gift. it can be homemade for less than 3$ if you want. however its a gift.

you dont have to buy into the best buy crowd and have a need to get someone a 50$ gift of even a TV....

simply give what you think is a thought that should count. if they are too materialized, then let them figure it out.

Sunday, December 25, 2005 6:16 PM on j-body.org
ERrrmmm.. Event: don't you mean hate the game, not the player?

Sunday, December 25, 2005 9:10 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:ERrrmmm.. Event: don't you mean hate the game, not the player?

nope... normally i would...

but the game is christmas....giving, caring sharing...in a nut shell...

society are the players.... if the players have given into "i gotta buy X amount of money to be cool with my kids, my in-laws, etc... then basically society has made it to where christmas is so commercialized....

christmas in its purest meaning is humble.

its the players aka the people that dropped brain and fell into the whole materialization of things

Monday, December 26, 2005 4:45 AM on j-body.org
Ahh... I thought the Materialization of Christmas was the game, and the player was the guy that can't give what he'd like to friends or family.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search