Cobalt SS Staged Upgrades - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt SS Staged Upgrades
Tuesday, August 30, 2005 11:57 AM
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103095
Super Boosted Chevys: Supercharger kits push Cobalt to next stage
BOB GRITZINGER
Posted Date: 8/30/05

We’ll admit to a growing fondness for Chevrolet’s Cobalt small car, especially the one that debuted this year as the 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged coupe.

With performance suspension and 205 hp and 200 lb-ft of torque on tap from a lightweight aluminum overhead-cam 2.0-liter four-cylinder, the supercharged model is good. But if you really want something to get charged up about, stand by for Stage 1 and Stage 2 upgrades for the SS Supercharged (and Saturn Ion Red Line) due in early 2006.

Stage 1 adds revised fuel injectors and new engine calibration to pick up another 20 hp; Stage 2 increases boost via a smaller supercharger pulley (along with another engine recalibration job) to amp up the torque by about 20 lb-ft. The packages can be readily installed by the owner. Pricing will be announced in November at the Specialty Equipment Market Association show in Las Vegas.

We’ve driven the base supercharged cars, along with the Stage 1 and 2 upgrades, and while the Stage 1 noticeably increases power, the added torque in the Stage 2 package is worth the extra cost and effort. The added boost provides a substantial increase in power, especially at the low- and mid-rpm range where base and Stage 1 models need a downshift to prevent running short of breath.

Need more incentive? GM Performance hoss John Heinricy says he expects a 20 percent power boost from the Stage 2 kit “when all is said and done.” That’s about 246 hp and 240 lb-ft, if you’re keeping score.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Re: Cobalt SS Staged Upgrades
Tuesday, August 30, 2005 11:58 AM
Full coverage of the 2005 SEMA Show in Las Vegas, NV will be coming beginning November 1, right here on gmdelta.com.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Monday, November 28, 2005 3:17 PM
heck yes

BOO YAH!!11!!!11!!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 1:24 PM
Any Idea of when the kits are coming? emailing gm is getting me no where.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"] Click to see My CARDOMAIN Page

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]1/4 - 13.9 @ 101.6, Best 60ft 2.1840 Performance mods to obtain best times - GMS2 and a K&N drop in filter.
But now GMS2 is SOLD [SIZE="2"]Car needs more work with tune. 13.9 with very rough tune.

[SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Blue"]GIMILI Drag Raceway September 29th or BUST

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 6:56 AM
they are out,

great kits!!!

its a 7k redline!

very hardcore

keith-

they keep your warranty as well if installed by a dealer

207 hp cavy
18,000 so far

200 hp rsx type S
23,900 still stock

I love my car
Sunday, December 31, 2006 12:29 AM
GM STAGE 3 IS NOW AVAILABLE

Crateenginedepot.com wrote:Take your Cobalt SS to the next level with our Stage 3 Off-Road kit!

The Stage 3 kit consists of the following:
• Smaller, 76mm supercharger pulley
• 2-pass intercooler end plate
• Unique PCM which includes a calibration for the smaller pulley, an adjustable rev limiter, a 100 octane mode, and a nitrous algorithm.

Our Stage 3 kit will take your supercharged Ecotec to a whole new level of performance. Stage 3 takes horsepower output to 248 on 93 octane fuel and to 260 horsepower on 100 octane fuel.
In addition to the power increase, you'll also get an adjustable rev limiter and calibration for a 50 shot of nitrous (nitrous kit not included).
For best power, we recommend also installing a high-flow exhaust.

The PCM is equipped with a user adjustable rev limit from 6750 to 8000 rpm. The rev limit is adjusted by pressing on the throttle pedal with the ignition on and engine off. At about 50% throttle the tachometer will show the current rev limit. Pressing the throttle further will adjust the rev limit in 250 rpm increments. This PCM is also equipped with a control scheme for the equivalent of a 50-horse shot of Nitrous. The PCM will automatically provide the proper spark and fuel for A Nitrous up to 500 rpm below the current selected rev limit when the trigger is activated.

No official press releases to be found (unless the above is from GM), but the part numbers check out:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=88958718 (2005)
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=88958719 (2006--2007)

and CrateEngineDepot.com has pics of all the parts for verification:

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/Cobalt-Stage-Kits-C196.aspx

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Wednesday, February 07, 2007 8:49 AM
the only thing good about s3 is the dual pass endplate.

the pcm didnt like the cold weather, and also it caused the cat to go bad.

the pully is only sleightly smaller,

i guess its good for people wanting nitrous.

im not a fan.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search