Best Cobalt to buy? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best Cobalt to buy?
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 11:17 AM
I've heard alot of nice things about the SS Supercharged, but I've also heard rumors of people getting nasty power from turbocharging a n/a Cobalt. If I'm going for maxium kick in the pants, should I start with a supercharged or n/a model?

- TiGER

Re: Best Cobalt to buy?
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 3:10 PM
buy 2.4 vvt ss and wait till spring s/c and turbo kits on the way
Thursday, December 15, 2005 3:38 PM
you could Go with the 2.4 'cause there will be plenty of forced induction Kits out there in a year or so. However with the S/C changing a few pulleys could get you what you are looking for. What you really need to do is figure out what kind of power you are looking for, shop around for upgrades for both models and figure out which one will net the most power for the least $$. It is all about doing your homework first.
Thursday, December 15, 2005 7:57 PM
Brian MacIvor wrote:you could Go with the 2.4 'cause there will be plenty of forced induction Kits out there in a year or so. However with the S/C changing a few pulleys could get you what you are looking for. What you really need to do is figure out what kind of power you are looking for, shop around for upgrades for both models and figure out which one will net the most power for the least $$. It is all about doing your homework first.

yah he is right couldnt have said it any better my self
Saturday, December 17, 2005 10:32 AM
i see a problem with the 2.4L VVT, i think its a great engine but there will have to be some upgrades to the electronics to allow for forced induction.
for an everyday vehicle engine versus the 2.2L i think its a great buy. practically the same fuel economy and substantially more power.

I say go for a 2.2L if you want to mod for insane power, i have an 05 LS with all the same options as the SS with the exception of the engine. the 06 has the same thing available for the LT but theres also a diff this year that you would be losing out on.

Hahn racecraft will be making a turbokit that will be out next spring that would bring you up to about 230hp on the stock engine, but with proper internals is capable of going around the 500hp mark.

The difference in price between my car and the SS/SC last year was $8000CA+ which is lots to find a good turbo kit and install it.
(sorry for the long post)
Sunday, January 22, 2006 7:21 PM
I would go with the 2.2 base Cobalt with 5 speed, and that is what I just bought. With the money I saved I could do a few mods and waste a 2.4. I can run on 87 octane and get better gas mileage to boot. The SS/SC is the bomb if you don't mind spending the money! The SS with the 2.4 and an automatic would probably be the best for bracket racing, due to the consistency of the auto trans and the VVT.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search