Bad People or Bad Choices? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bad People or Bad Choices?
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:49 PM on j-body.org
Should a person (criminal/rapist/etc) be judged because they're a "bad" person or because they made a "bad" choice but are a "good" person? Good and bad are based off of common social mores (mores=morally determined social norms).

Discuss.

Re: Bad People or Bad Choices?
Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:37 AM on j-body.org
it depends how bad is their choice, I think
Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:45 AM on j-body.org
also was it a choice or an impulse?

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:35 AM on j-body.org
I think that's not really something you can place a stamp on without details.

for example someone who cuts their wifes head off is in a different class than say, someone who stole steaks from the grocery store.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:34 AM on j-body.org
A man who stole steaks is a thief, and therefore a bad person. A person who mistakenly walks out without paying for the dogfood in the bottom rack of his cart is negligent. He still stole, but unintentionally. Motive, I suppose, would determine if the person was bad.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:35 AM on j-body.org
Stealing for food = bad choice
Stealing for drugs = bad people

Rapist = cut off his balls and shove them up his bad person a$$.

“Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism. Nobody gets in life exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard, and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.” Conan O'Brien

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:47 PM on j-body.org
Ok in Sociology we were learnig about some girl who robbed a bank in Georgia. Her mother was quoted as saying she is a good girl who made a bad choice. Whereas her father called her a bad person.

So essentially people try to blame the choice and not the person for the crime. Hope that clarifies.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:51 PM on j-body.org
ok, it still needs a background story IMO.

If said girl was stealing purely to keep her family alive, bad choice

if said girl had all the things she could have wanted in the world and was stealing, bad person.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:03 PM on j-body.org
Ok if you remember the "Barbie Bandits."

Girl 1 was an honor student had a scholarship to some prominent school and hit a rebellious stage during her senior year of high school and began stripping. Her parents kicked her out after she refused to stop stripping. Girl 1 moved in with Girl 2 who was a fellow stripper who had a previous drug conviction. Girl 2s boyfriend introduced the girls to the idea of robbing a bank because he knew a bank teller who he planned to have in on the deal. The boyfriend has a criminal past as does the teller. So G1, G2, the boyfriend, and the teller fromulate the plan under the boyfriends direction. The two girls go into the bank present the teller with a note and he hands the money over. Girls escape with the boyfriend as the driver. Later they split the money 4 ways and are later caught.

The first girls mother goes on "Gooe Morning America" and contends her daughter is a good girl who made a bad choice whereas her fater says she is a bad person and needs to pay the consequences.

So who is to blame the girl or her choice? It seems to me to be a slippery slope to blame choices. So by that logic a lifelong criminal is a good person who made a string of bad decisions. Just seems like a way or persevring out self esteem beacause we arent bad people we just make bad decisions.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:09 PM on j-body.org
^^in that situation, purely a bad person IMO.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 3:05 PM on j-body.org
TheSundownFire wrote:Ok if you remember the "Barbie Bandits."

Girl 1 was an honor student had a scholarship to some prominent school and hit a rebellious stage during her senior year of high school and began stripping. Her parents kicked her out after she refused to stop stripping. Girl 1 moved in with Girl 2 who was a fellow stripper who had a previous drug conviction. Girl 2s boyfriend introduced the girls to the idea of robbing a bank because he knew a bank teller who he planned to have in on the deal. The boyfriend has a criminal past as does the teller. So G1, G2, the boyfriend, and the teller fromulate the plan under the boyfriends direction. The two girls go into the bank present the teller with a note and he hands the money over. Girls escape with the boyfriend as the driver. Later they split the money 4 ways and are later caught.

The first girls mother goes on "Gooe Morning America" and contends her daughter is a good girl who made a bad choice whereas her fater says she is a bad person and needs to pay the consequences.

So who is to blame the girl or her choice? It seems to me to be a slippery slope to blame choices. So by that logic a lifelong criminal is a good person who made a string of bad decisions. Just seems like a way or persevring out self esteem beacause we arent bad people we just make bad decisions.

in that case you could claim that every single person in jail is a good person that has just had a string of bad decisions. a nice out for anyone it seems. ever notice whenever some drug dealer gets shot or thrown in jail or bank robber or whatever the family or friends always say "they were just turing their life around, their a good kid" its all the same. the point between a bad person and a good person. the good person would go. hey, you know robbing a bank is problaby going to turn out bad. ive thought about robbing a bank, just on the basis of could you get away with it, you hear about all the stupid people who get caught and you just start to wonder how you would do it to get away with it, and at the same time i know i will never ever rob a bank because of the consequences. they wanted a rush so they robbed some banks, and now they are paying for that rush. bad decision or bad person is really irelleveant, they are doing their time for the crime.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 7:52 PM on j-body.org
Exactly what my point is. My teacher also made the point that the phrase "a bad choice" is being used in schools more instead of punishing a kid by saying that they are "bad" and they should be ashamed. Just to keep the childs self esteem intact. Now that sounds like a good way to enable some pretty bad behavior. If a kid stabs another kid with a pencil and the teacher says " now youre a good boy but that was a bad choice to stab Billy." That really solves nothing because in the kids mind he is still good and didnt get punished and will continue his destructive behavior.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 2:58 PM on j-body.org
You know every time I was shamed/Ashamed for something I did it stuck with me and everyday I make sure i do my damndest to not do it again. So shame is a good thing it helps restrict things and thoughts along with actions so that we can remain free.

I accidentally the SHIFT LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

The proper way of using the word seen. It is not I seen it that would be I saw it. He has seen the car is the right way to use the word. English class is Cool. By the way thats my sig
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:56 PM on j-body.org
This is a rather easy one. When people do bad/stupid things over and over and over again almost by compulsion, they're bad people.

There was a welfare family in Quebec that won 14 million back in the 90's. After about 10 years, they were back on welfare. I hate to say it, but some people are just evolutionary dead enders. It's the same with drug addicts that always inevitably go back on drugs or criminals that always get caught committing these lame crimes like breaking windows or stealing money out of the Unicef box at the Wal-Mart. You know, I'm almost more offended by the fact that they show so little damn aspiration than anything else. Why can't they try and pull an Oceans 11 every once in a while? Show a little ambition God dammit!

That said though. My view is that we are the richest continent on the planet so a person should be able to get warmth, food and shelter without too much grief. So if a guy steals a can of tuna at Wal-Mart or squats in an empty house that's on sale for a few weeks. I don't care. Neither of these are "victimless" crimes, but they're not going to ruin my day or anyone else's either.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search