Robotic Tentacles are here - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Robotic Tentacles are here
Monday, May 08, 2006 3:13 PM on j-body.org

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn9124-robotic-tentacles-get-to-grips-with-tricky-objects.html

http://www.ces.clemson.edu/~ianw/icra06_vid.mpeg
^^ Video

holy_calamity writes "New Scientist is reporting on a robotic tentacle developed thanks to funding from military agency DARPA. From the video it looks to have a lot of potential, I can almost feel it fastening around my ankle right now."

Re: Robotic Tentacles are here
Monday, May 08, 2006 3:16 PM on j-body.org
I want to see those spider droids from Minority Report.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, May 08, 2006 4:02 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

It is not clear what military purposes the Octarms will be used for,

For scaring the $@$# out of the enemy.

mmmmh compressed air that nuts
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 7:24 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

For making real life hentai.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 7:34 AM on j-body.org
Meh this isn't so new ! Who saw Dr. Octopus in the Spider Man movie ? Or before that in the Spider Man cartoons or in the comics ? Its about time science is starting to catch up with the saturday morning cartoons.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 10:59 AM on j-body.org
Still hasn't caught up Phillip K Dick yet.

BTW... why is it that the USDOD can make thingamadoodads like this, yet they can't find some way to get your f**king Burger King, Wendy's or McDonalds order right.

Are they building a better idiot?

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 11:13 AM on j-body.org
Well to truly screw up requires human intervention. These robots are a step toward getting your order correct the first time you order it. Besides what do you expect? Half the people who work at fast food places can't speak English and the other half failed out of the classes.

Gam, Did someone ef up your lunch order today ? I'm senceing an issue.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 11:17 AM on j-body.org
Jack: You're a damned Krescan... you know that?

I think the kids in my area are either willfully stupid or are f**king with people because their families all know each other.

It's starting to really piss me off.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 11:31 AM on j-body.org
LMAO !! What happened get onion rings and not fries ?

Dude seriously they get what $5.00 an hour ? What do they care ?

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 3:05 PM on j-body.org
They're $7 here, we don't get all that many illegals here... they're just High School students that don't understand english.. they're FROM CANADA!!!!

And no, I order a damned whopper and I get a chicken sammich. makes me grumpy... esp when it's f-ing cold & pink inside and I'm halfway to work, running late because it takes them 10 minutes to twig that I'm still waiting for my damned food. (I get Über-pissy when I'm hungry, it's nothing personal)

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 5:10 AM on j-body.org
Been there done that! But somehow I see we've gotten horribly off topic. Perhaps its time to start one about Fast Food places you think?

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 7:02 AM on j-body.org
Glace wrote:
Quote:

For making real life hentai.

i was half expecting a hentai comment within the first 5 comments. you're #3...you exceeded my expectations.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain
Wednesday, May 10, 2006 3:15 PM on j-body.org
Robot Tentacles don't scare me, it's the robot Testicles I'm going to steer clear of.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 6:30 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

Robot Tentacles don't scare me, it's the robot Testicles I'm going to steer clear of.

The "Six Million Dollar Man" had those, that's why Farrah Fawcet married him. Unfortunately they only worked in slow motion.

And Gam, I agree with you about making a new sci-fi toy while the education of our country withers away. This little gizmo probably cost billions in research which could have been spent on education. Then we'd have smarter kids making our egg mcmuffins.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Wednesday, May 10, 2006 8:14 PM on j-body.org
You'd think they'd use this kind of ish to pick strawberries or lettuce or something....

Am I the only one that thinks stuff like this is really just gilding a lilly?

Thursday, May 11, 2006 5:16 AM on j-body.org
HEY great idea !!!! With these we could finaly get rid of all the illegals who pick Strawberries and other such fruits
And grass cutting is already solved by that robotic lawn mower. So see we actualy DON'T need them after all !!

Thursday, May 11, 2006 7:37 AM on j-body.org
I'm going to take a stab here. A machine like that could be the next step in demolitions. They already have robots thy use to detonate bombs from a distance, maybe this is an evolution in that area?

And as far as making robots but they can't get an order right at the drive-thru. Think of it this way. Scientists at NASA have put a man on the moon, a robot on Mars, discovered countless stars and planets in other solar systems far beyond our imagination, bla bla bla. They've done all of this in the last 50 years, and yet they still can't tell us how to program a fricken VCR.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:21 AM on j-body.org
^^^ That falls into the realm of User Error: Reboot User.

Someone is busy at work making a better idiot, I swear. They're having FAR too much success for my taste.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 11:12 AM on j-body.org
No, it's a ballte of enginners/scientists to devise better idiot-proof devices and the universe to devise better idios...

so far, it's been the univers in a landslide--and the gap between the quality of idiot-proof devices and the quality of idiots has now exceed that of Delta Burke's waistline.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaği, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:24 PM on j-body.org
Wow. That was brutal. You get a cookie. It's chocolate chip. I'll even take the liberty of eating it for you. Yum.

Friday, May 12, 2006 5:21 AM on j-body.org
Wait, what!? Keeper likes Delta Burke? Ewwww thats just nasty ! Dude come on you can do better then THAT !

Friday, May 12, 2006 12:19 PM on j-body.org
Keeper wouldn't lower himself to that level. Kirstey Alley two years ago, maybe. But never Delta Burke.

Friday, May 12, 2006 3:21 PM on j-body.org
Keeper loves Delta Burke....

As a comparitor in an analogy.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search