Outsourcing of US jobs - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Outsourcing of US jobs
Friday, April 21, 2006 9:00 PM on j-body.org
Borsty: What you have to understand is that it's cheap labor by OUR standards. $19 a day for an 8 hour shift in america is not only low, it's illegal. However in India, if your making $19 a day, your doing very well. It's the same in many other countries. Many people don't support "sweat shops" either. Now I also don't support sweat shops but it's for different reasons. Many oppose sweat shops on the sole basis that employees make 10 cents an hour. However in the Phillipines, 10 cents an hour is a decent wage. The constant rising of minimum wage hurts this economy and I'll explain.

My parents own a restaurant. Minimum Wage just went up in NY. To combat shelling out more money in wages, they have to raise their prices. My family is by no means rich. Granted we're fortunate to have what we have but we all work hard in that restaurant. It hurts my parents GREATLY when they have to up minimum wage even by 15 cents. So now we raise our prices on say... our salads from 5.50 to 5.75. So now that extra 15 cents people make an hour causes prices to go up in food and other items by 25 cents. It goes up that high because the places my parents buy their raw materials from ALSO had to raise their minimum wage which in turn caused them to raise their prices. It's a chain reaction effect and when it's all said in done, people are making more per hour, however their paying more for things. It's a verry difficult issue.

Back to the outsourcing. Another huge problem with having a business on US soil is the taxes. To use my family's restaurant again. My parents have to pay FICA tax. Now this tax is also taken out of each employee's paycheck. The total amount taken out of each employee's paycheck has to be MATCHED by the employer. This can get pricey, especially if you are employing quite a few people.

KOTL has an answer to part of the soltuion however big business runs this country and the government is a puppet for them and would never make a move to hurt big business.

It may sound dumb but we need a president who is like an Arnold (can't spell the last name... governor or california). Am I a big fan of his? NO. However he funded his own campaign and has no1 to answer to before he makes a decision. Therefore he's more inclined to make decisions based on the the voters ideas.

"welcome to the most expensive hobby ever..."

Saturday, April 22, 2006 8:31 AM on j-body.org
Schwartzeneger? He's racking up political favours owed.

He didn't have to answer to anyone initially, but, you don't get anything done politically without greasing the rails a bit.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 10:47 AM on j-body.org
uecavboy wrote:
KOTL has an answer to part of the soltuion however big business runs this country and the government is a puppet for them and would never make a move to hurt big business.

You do realize that the companies will pass the extra tax to either the consumers or the workers right?
Raising the taxes is going to do the exact same thing as raising the minimum wage. Companies (most anyways) are all about profits. So either the workers are going to get hit with a paycut/reduction in force or the consumers will be paying more for the product/service.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 12:08 PM on j-body.org
@!#$er: I think your missing the point. What KOTL means and what I mean is you tax the hell out of any company who outsources to other countries. Now this company (lets use Dell as an example because their a text book case) has all their call centers in India. The government imposes a HUGE tax on them to remain in that country. In a way they'll have to raise their prices, but because it is SO competitive they can't afford to have a higher price than the competition. In which case Dell will see it's more expensive for them to stay in india and pay all the taxes instead of having call centers in the US and perhaps receiving a tax break. That is what an imposed tax would do to these big companies. And if they choose to stay over in another country because it is STILL cheaper, than at least the government and our economy will be reaping taxes off of them.

Friday, April 28, 2006 5:32 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

IamRascal

I'm a firm supporter of free trade, but I don't think labor should be part of it.

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh.

I mostly just skimmed over most of this. But the fact is, the US is switching from a manufacturing economy to a service encomony. I don't know how anybody can expect to keep a factory job making 30+ an hour when all you do is screw in a bolt. If people want to keep manufacturing, they have to be competitive.

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie

Saturday, April 29, 2006 12:53 AM on j-body.org
Nice guy: You def skimmed. We already covered that fact that now service jobs are being outsourced (consulting, engineering, IT, call centers, architecting (blueprints), banking, etc. These are all service jobs that have gone overseas.

Saturday, April 29, 2006 9:33 AM on j-body.org
I remember a few weeks ago, Primetime or 60 Minutes or something like that, one of those shows I forget which one, did a segment where they claimed outsourcing was a great thing, and they interviewed people who said it wasn't, and quoted a whole bunch of statistics proving how it was great.

They interviewed a programmer who lost his job, and they asked him why he should get $30/hr when someone in India will do it for $5, and basically made fun of him. Their only argument seemed to be that if someone will do a job cheaper, then that person should get the job, and nothing else matters. They also claimed that outsourcing creates more jobs in the US, I forget what their reasoning for this was but I didn't buy it.

It pissed me off. The biggest supporters of outsourcing are people whose jobs aren't likely to be outsourced, like certain politicians, and TV hosts like the ass that did the segment about outsourcing, I kept thinking he'd be singing a different tune if his job was at risk.
Saturday, April 29, 2006 9:30 PM on j-body.org
It's not so much that they'd be singing a different tune if their job was at risk, the thing is that most reporters are liberals. They believe that it's wonderful for outsourcing because it allowes the blue collar american's dollar to go farther. Their one sided thinking though does not show them that the jobs being outsourced are jobs that blue collar american's make their money from.

Sunday, April 30, 2006 6:58 PM on j-body.org
Why would a liberal (ie: pro-union) make it out to be that outsourcing (ie stripping jobs from qualified americans to send them to areas where they are either moderately qualified or extremely poor) is a good thing?

60 Minutes = CBS Formerly from Viacom, and GE Westinghouse. One of the top job exporters in the US (and heavy RNC/GOP contributor) would have a vested interest in shifting perception that it's a good idea to strip Americans of their jobs.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, May 01, 2006 11:02 AM on j-body.org
The same reason that conservatives--that are for harsh punishments for criminals are all for having white-collar prison.

They are getting the good end of the deal.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Friday, May 05, 2006 7:20 AM on j-body.org
J. Eazy should touch on this, it is his job, ask him to comment. Nice guy, he hates it but it pays.

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search