This site, and the people in it..... - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: This site, and the people in it.....
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 3:04 PM on j-body.org
This site has gotten stupid. Last year when i joined, it seemed more normal. People could get answers and ask questions, but there was still a decent amount of bull@!#$ involved. Now-a-days, you have people who deliberatly respond just to start @!#$ with people, or people just reply and bitch and people and want them to search, or people just badger the idea and don't even give any input. Someone asks about a spoiler, and he gets barraged by a group of @!#$s who claims spoilers are gay and they suck, etc. Or my favorite response: "Omg its a repost from like 2 years ago". 2 years ago!!! Gah, its annoying and point being, getting a decent answer or conversation about anything, requires way too much effort.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 3:10 PM on j-body.org
If you consider that on any online forum the majority (if not all) of all posts are farsical, you'll not take them seriously. That helps you see the important posts.

Still, i look at the people that really care either way on this to be taking this a bit too seriously. And after all, if you post a real question, and you get people flaming you, it helps because now you have positive ID on a few of the @!#$s/bitches on the board, which you can catalog for later use to skip over their meaningless half-baked babbling.

I think the major problems happen when someone takes another person more seriously that they take themselves...

...that and failing to read the ToS.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 8:14 PM on j-body.org
Using Event's sig as an idea of who and what I am is like getting unbiased news from FOX.

I tried to deal with Event civilly, but got nowhere with a headache. Therefore, I choose not to respond to him if I can help it.

Anyway, I'll answer your question, and I'm going to try to do this civilly, without resorting to being an ass.

First of all, I have no problem with people having their own opinion. That's fine. That's great. That's part of my job, to foster critical thinking skills in the kids I teach. Problems with that = 0.

However, I do have a problem with people deciding that their opinion is so important that they have to voice it all the time, to everyone, regardless of whether it's appropriate or not. Personally, I think the old adage still holds true, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

I have a kid in one of my classes that doesn't know when to shut up. Because he doesn't, the staff (including myself) at my school actually had to go and make sure that a gang of kids from another school, who decided to visit today, didn't ruin his @!#$.

Now, I know I'm going to get the response that this is the Internet, and the War Forum specifically. That's fine, arguing is what goes on here. However, it doesn't mean that all the norms of social conduct go out the window.

You don't sit in a room with your co-workers (or people you don't know at all), one of whom says something that conflicts with something you believe, and tell them to grow up. In a serious manner, anyway. You may have a discussion, but you don't fire off insults like what you think and what you know is the be all end all.

That's my issue. It's the whole cloud of anonymity. Because you don't know me and I don't know you, you think it's fair to judge me (or vice versa). For example, on something you didn't "get" in the other thread. Regardless of whether you took what I said in that thread as a joke or not, doesn't mean that your "Grow up" comment was necessary. If that were real life, you wouldn't have said it. Am I offended by what you said? Not really, I just don't understand why you had to say it. I'm interested in why you felt you had to post that particular phrase. My guess is because you knew it would get a rise (which, it did ), but I could be wrong. In that case, I ask again, exactly what were you trying to accomplish?

As far as Event's sig: Sure, I could take something he posted, cut it out, paste it into paint and type my own little paragraph twisting his words to mean something I wanted them to. It's called spin, and if you don't know the person it's about, it's really easy to believe. Hence the reason I was initially annoyed at the sig.

Event's sig basically says, to people who don't read it closely, that I think having a different opinion is wrong. No. I think that automatically playing devil's advocate to people just so you have something to "speak your mind" about is silly. We all know people like this. They're all over this site. The "need" to be different is also the same view as millions, who also kiss ass and conform.

So, speaking on gang mentality, I'd have to say a big no to that. You're the one who decided to take Event's sig at face value, with really no context behind it. (Again, why I was initially annoyed with the sig--it doesn't tell the whole story).

I'm the one tired with people snapping out at each other on this site, for no other reason than to get a rise. Debate, or even arguing is one thing. Telling somebody else to "grow up" or that their an idiot for going against your opinion is another. In that case, it's best to keep your "opinion" on that matter to yourself, in most cases, don't you think? And when I say "you," I mean people, in general.

But I don't know, maybe I'm old fashioned and I believe that biting my tongue (or staying my hand, in this instance) is the best way to prevent the stuff that has become oh-so-apparent on this site from continuing. Internet or not, this is a community. I've been around for awhile, and I remember it being a lot friendlier around here. So, if you'd like to continue this little tiff, by all means, but you're going to go it alone.

I've made my point (albeit long-winded). If you don't get it, or don't agree, well--I'm afraid that, again, you're on your own.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search