Opinion on car knowledge and hands on experience - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Opinion on car knowledge and hands on experien
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 5:19 AM on j-body.org
But Angel your just "a chic " What can you possibly know about body work ?

Look Adam everyone needs to learn sooner or later. I give credit to anyone who tries to do something even if they fail. Why? Because at least they TRIED to do it themselves first ! You have knowledge and thru time experence will come. Just relax ef the haters and remember this is just the internet you can always turn them off with the click of the switch. And in doing so YOU have the last word.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 6:29 AM on j-body.org
What are your feelings of a car enthusiasts who buys a new Subaru WRX STi
and a JBody owner having a 2.2l ecotec with a fully rebuilt engine and a supercharger with 300hp?

Does that make the STI owner less of an enthusiast than the JBody owner?

Just a question.
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 6:30 AM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:But Angel your just "a chic " What can you possibly know about body work ?

Look Adam everyone needs to learn sooner or later. I give credit to anyone who tries to do something even if they fail. Why? Because at least they TRIED to do it themselves first ! You have knowledge and thru time experence will come. Just relax ef the haters and remember this is just the internet you can always turn them off with the click of the switch. And in doing so YOU have the last word.

Thanks

See that's another thing that people don't realize....people assume that someone like me who has all these mods and who hasn't touched thier car is because they didn't want to which is incorrect.

I won't touch my car in certain circumstances. If I have no idea how to do something, I am not going to just go at it (example: change camshafts), this is my daily driver and my only source of transportation. It wouldn't be smart on my part to go ahead and do something like this and mess something up and have downtime be extended. Also, like Encriptor said, I have no where to do any type of work. I don't even have a secure parking spot...I park on the street like everyone else. It would be different if I had a garage or something but I don't which makes it even harder to work on my vehicle if I wanted to. Last thing is that I don't have the tools to do what I want...granted I could spend a bunch of cash on tools but knowing what tools I need for X job also comes into play with knowing how to change something, which if I have never been shown what to do, it would be more difficult to buy things for that job.

These things all come into play. I was personally shown how to change camshafts and not read it in some book, I would have no problem doing it. I want to learn and have the desire to learn but only in person where I can see what is going on.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 6:37 AM on j-body.org
Alexander Andrade wrote:What are your feelings of a car enthusiasts who buys a new Subaru WRX STi
and a JBody owner having a 2.2l ecotec with a fully rebuilt engine and a supercharger with 300hp?

Does that make the STI owner less of an enthusiast than the JBody owner?

Just a question.

I feel that being an car enthusiast is just being someone who loves cars no matter what car you drive and how much money you have.

If we could all afford to buy and own STis, I think most of us would so that wouldn't make us any less of car enthusiasts.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 6:44 AM on j-body.org
Adam I wouldn't let it be known that you "WANT TO TOUCH YOUR CAR" It sounds bad man. Like your molesting the tailpipe or sometihng.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 6:55 AM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:Adam I wouldn't let it be known that you "WANT TO TOUCH YOUR CAR" It sounds bad man. Like your molesting the tailpipe or sometihng.

LOL

I <3 You Terry

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 7:00 AM on j-body.org

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 7:29 AM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:But Angel your just "a chic " What can you possibly know about body work ?

LOL I know right? Stupid women... we should be NEAR tools at all, I mean... we might break a nail or get dirty or something! OMGTHATWOULDTOTALLYBELIKETHEENDOFTHEWORLDORSOMETHING!!!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 7:31 AM on j-body.org
LIKEIKNOWRIGHT! Hey While we're on the topic of you not knowing anything about body work or painting are you working yet ?

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 10:08 AM on j-body.org
I do most of the repairs on my cars myself. Not because I'm a "super mechanic", but for financial reasons. This past weekend I put new front hub assemblies on my sunfire because the humming was getting worse and I read in a few posts here that worn hub assemblies were most likely the cause. The price was $130 (us) for the parts, the cheapest estimate I found was $460 for both sides for a "pro". After I put in the new parts, I had this clicking noise when turning the steering wheel and driving slow. I assumed that jacking the car up and allowing the old struts to fully expand was the final straw, and it needed struts. I called Midas, they confirmed that my description was realistic for weak struts, and $600 later I have new struts. Unfortunately it still made the noise, which really stumped the Midas mechanic. He "guessed" that it may be bad bushings in the lower control arms, but wasn't sure. But he was willing to take $500 more from me if I was willing to take a chance. I wasn't, still have the original lower control arms.

A quick surf around here and I found that defective new hub assemblies do this, so I exchanged the noisy one for a replacement, luckily under Autozone warranty. And my noise is gone.

The point of this whole long story is that even ASE mechanics aren't perfect, and they are both hands-on and book schooled. You have to judge for yourself if you're getting good information, and decide if someone else's "educated opinion" is worth following.

As for why I didn't replace the struts myself, I have to quote Clint Eastwood...
"A man's got to know his limitations".

Does that make me less of a mechanic? No. Does the Midas guy with many more hands-on hours and a certificate have anything to be ashamed of? Not at all. He didn't know and didn't try to pretend to know.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 10:57 AM on j-body.org
In your context, Agustin, there's a difference.

If you're having someone install a supercharger on your car, like the GM or RSM one, yes, you'd want someone with adequate "tool time" to do it.

But, if you were trying to take a new design implementation on it, the ones with tme most tool time and aren't strong on theory are going to say things like, "it can't be done" when it actually can.

You need a balnce of theory and practice. If you just have practice, everything will be cookie-cutter.

If you just have theory, nothing will work as well as you expect, if at all.

Ideally, you'ds want to be good in both, or have the two team up.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 3:02 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:
Nathaniel O'Flaherty wrote:
it does not make me any less of an astronomer just because i did not do the complex math/science it took to come to the conclusions galileo and newton have come up with. i know the material and fully understand the concepts and THAT is what matters PERIOD.

That's just not true.

Real world variables come into play all the time. This time of example happens all the time..

Someone has read and done their homework on installing a supercharger. They get it on, but they have a check engine light on. They have no idea why. They're on the forums, asking for help. eventually have to take it to the dealer.

Understanding the concepts is simply not enough. I see this opinion of mine validated repeatedly by the f-tards that come out of computer training schools. Four certs in their briefcase but the guy is still worthless in doing anything meaningful.

If I were given three choices to person to install my supercharger, and they were

1) Guy who has read on it, knows it inside and out, but has little real tool time of any kind. Like me.
2) A guy like 97Cavie24ls, who knows everything about everything, has tons of tool time, but hasn't installed the supercharger before
3) Or a guy like 97 but has installed the supercharger

I wouldn't be taking #1.

I am not talking about the types of people youd want to actually do the hands on work.

I am talking about the quality of answers the different types of people are capable of giving over the internet. since that is indeed what we are talking about here.

and in this case, someone who is all book smarts can give an equally correct answer as someone who is tool smart.

from the original post
Quote:

With that said, why is it that people are so quick to disclaim someone who doesn't have hands on experience but knows the correct answer to a question? Sure, having hands on experience does give you an advantage in some situations but it doesn't mean that someone who hasn't physically changed a part doesn't know anything.

in most all questions posted on car sites a person with book smarts can answer the questions correctly equally as well as someone with tool smarts.

if you were looking for an actuall mechanic to actually DO the work OF COURSE you would want someone with extensive amounts of both.

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search