WTF are they thinking !!!! - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: WTF are they thinking !!!!
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:08 PM on j-body.org
Honestly, I do not see it as being a big problem. With the current situation, the US does not have the time/money to check every shipment that enters US ports anyway. The level of security will remain the same. If terrorists want to ship anything into the US, they would have been able to do it before too.

Now, that being said I still think it is a bad idea simply because it looks terrible. Also, note that I am not defending the Bush administration in any way because I hate it with a passion. I'm simply trying to be unbiased here.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:24 PM on j-body.org
/\ /\ /\ Its the same as if Germany was given control of Isrealy security 5 years after the end of WW II.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 1:30 PM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:/\ /\ /\ Its the same as if Germany was given control of Isrealy security 5 years after the end of WW II.

I disagree. For that to be analogous would mean that we were giving control of US "security" to Al Queda. That is not the case. We are allowing a Dubai company to operate a port. The US Coast Guard and Border Patrol will still handle security. Thats a far cry from terrorists controlling our security.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 1:32 PM on j-body.org
edit* " The US Coast Guard and Border Patrol will still handle security AT THE PORTS."

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 1:56 PM on j-body.org
J Caff wrote:edit* " The US Coast Guard and Border Patrol will still handle security AT THE PORTS."

No security at these 6 ports will be run by the UAE.

As for it not being the same thing its sooo close it may as well be. After WW II Germany said we're sorry. Well after 9 / 11 the UAE said they were sorry. Many countless people died at Nazi hands, many countless people died at the arab terrorists hands. I don't see a difference. And in fact this is the same annology used on local news broadcasts
Its not just my opinion but that of damn near everyone in the ports states. Thankfully the Senate and Congress are also hitting the roof over this back door deal that Bush is pushing thru.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 2:01 PM on j-body.org
Oh sorry I forgot. The UAE is used to launder Al queerda money. In fact we asked that some accounts from there with direct ties to terrorism be locked, They declined.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 2:33 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

The company Dubia enterprises is a STATE RUN COMPANY !! They are owned wholely by the UEA

Every company that conducts business within the UAE is either owned by the family / government, tied strongly with the family / government or the family / government is the majority shareholder owning 51% of all business being conducted within the UAE. Talk about a monopoly.

My point was that it doesn't even matter who controls the ports... something much bigger is going on and has been for many years.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 2:40 PM on j-body.org
Where did you hear that the UAE would handle security? That is 100% inaccurate. The U.S. Coast Guard and Border Patrol will handle security, just like they do at our ports run by japan, denmark, and singapore. This will be no different.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 2:50 PM on j-body.org
J Caff wrote:Where did you hear that the UAE would handle security? That is 100% inaccurate. The U.S. Coast Guard and Border Patrol will handle security, just like they do at our ports run by japan, denmark, and singapore. This will be no different.

no wrong.

everything I have read and heard on radio thus far has said/shown that this dubai company will be running ALL aspects of these 6 ports and this includes SECURITY.

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 2:51 PM on j-body.org
^^^ If that is true then yes, that is a shame. But from my knowledge that is not how it is done.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 3:28 PM on j-body.org
if it isnt how i described than i am EXTREMELY pissed at the thigns i read and the talk radio shows i listen to for giving false information.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 3:54 PM on j-body.org
I'm not going to say whether they were right or wrong for sure, but we all know that the media has a tendency for not telling the truth. Especially "talk radio shows" hehe. But who knows, it will be interesting to see what happens in congress with this issue.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 4:25 PM on j-body.org
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 5:16 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush did not know about a deal to hand over operations at six major U.S. ports to an Arab company until after his administration had approved it, the White House said on Wednesday.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-02-22T233917Z_01_N22386720_RTRUKOC_0_US-SECURITY-PORTS.xml

F@$ing tool! Thats all I have to say. Have a heated press conf on Air Force One to support something you just learned about days ago. F#$@#ing tool.
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 6:48 PM on j-body.org
After lookin into this more.................What I get out of it is that All the UAE is going to do is rent it, and all of the security and everything else of that nature still falls under the regular US jurisdictions.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 10:13 PM on j-body.org
yes the UAE is LEASING it for a set amount of years the same way the brits were doing it before.

but through the LEASE it allows them to run all security if they wish to.

at least thats what i have read/heard.

seems as though not all of the facts are out to the public yet or there are conflicting stories.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 10:21 PM on j-body.org
you're an idiot. if one of the seven princes of the UAE decides to buy all of our ports, that's awesome because they won't let any arabs work there. in fact, NO UA Emirates WORK in the UAE, they outsource EVERYTHING to indians, philippinos, and eastern europeans. from hotels, to taxis, to everything. Their cell phone company, Etisalat, is owned and maintained by the government.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 10:46 PM on j-body.org
really, having a foreign government regadless of race/nationality/culture operate our ports and there security is awesome?

maybe i misunderstand the definition of the word awesome.

Thursday, February 23, 2006 5:28 AM on j-body.org
/\ /\ /\ And thats what I'm getting at ! Sure they may be friendly now but all those countries have coups ( spelling ? ) all the time. Who knows next week Bin-laden could be running the UAE and thus be in charge of our ports. Nope this is a stupid stupid idea.

Thursday, February 23, 2006 12:31 PM on j-body.org
i'll tell you what, you go to Khabul, then Baghdad, then Lebanon and Syria, then go to Dubai or Abu Dhabi, or Sharjah, or any emirate in the United Arab Emeriates and you'll see the difference. You'll too realize that you're worried about nothing. The Sheikh is probably buying the ports (take this, ONE MAN is buying the ports with his OWN money) to help out his buddy GW. I've been there... The UAE military with the exception of it's top officers are mostly non-arab. about 30 percent of the UAE, a country the size and about the shape of south carolina with a population up in the millions, only 30 percent are arab.

the former sultan of the UAE had a silver audi A8...not painted silver, MADE OF SILVER. these people are incredibly wealthy. Bill Gates has nothing on them. their purchase of the ports will probably find a lot of Americans working at ports.

Most redneck uneducated union clowns probably won't work there, but that'll open up a whole slew of jobs. Emiratis hire people to do EVERYTHING. They hire people to open and close the door at burger king. They hire people to DELIVER burger king to your house two hours by mo-ped away.

and it's called the united arab emirates not because they are arab, but because the 7 princes in the 7 emirates are supposed to be each of the original 7 lands of mohammed. I forget why, but they are a coalition of peaceful and the first WESTERNIZING arabs. That's why the US probably let them buy the ports. The UAE has a great interest in preserving the muslim life through tolerance. They realize that if islam does not westernize, then islam will fall.

everyone needs to get over their paranoia. the emirates wouldn't let emirates work there, they will hire americans to work there, and thus americans will be providing the security. the emirates will NOT be overthrown by al qaeda or any other government. the UAE is sacred to all Arab nations for some reason I don't remember. they know better than to screw with the 7 sheikhs. if someone was to screw with UAE, Saudi Arabia would side up with UAE as well as Oman, Kuwait, Lebanon, Syria, Romania, Germany, Italy, Britain, Iran, the Phillipines, Pakistan, India, China, Russia, and the US.

it's okay if you don't know this. but really, don't worry about the UAE.

Thursday, February 23, 2006 12:58 PM on j-body.org
KevinP (The IOU One IDB) wrote:i'll tell you what, you go to Khabul, then Baghdad, then Lebanon and Syria, then go to Dubai or Abu Dhabi, or Sharjah, or any emirate in the United Arab Emeriates and you'll see the difference. You'll too realize that you're worried about nothing. The Sheikh is probably buying the ports (take this, ONE MAN is buying the ports with his OWN money) to help out his buddy GW. I've been there... The UAE military with the exception of it's top officers are mostly non-arab. about 30 percent of the UAE, a country the size and about the shape of south carolina with a population up in the millions, only 30 percent are arab.

the former sultan of the UAE had a silver audi A8...not painted silver, MADE OF SILVER. these people are incredibly wealthy. Bill Gates has nothing on them. their purchase of the ports will probably find a lot of Americans working at ports.

Most redneck uneducated union clowns probably won't work there, but that'll open up a whole slew of jobs. Emiratis hire people to do EVERYTHING. They hire people to open and close the door at burger king. They hire people to DELIVER burger king to your house two hours by mo-ped away.

and it's called the united arab emirates not because they are arab, but because the 7 princes in the 7 emirates are supposed to be each of the original 7 lands of mohammed. I forget why, but they are a coalition of peaceful and the first WESTERNIZING arabs. That's why the US probably let them buy the ports. The UAE has a great interest in preserving the muslim life through tolerance. They realize that if islam does not westernize, then islam will fall.

everyone needs to get over their paranoia. the emirates wouldn't let emirates work there, they will hire americans to work there, and thus americans will be providing the security. the emirates will NOT be overthrown by al qaeda or any other government. the UAE is sacred to all Arab nations for some reason I don't remember. they know better than to screw with the 7 sheikhs. if someone was to screw with UAE, Saudi Arabia would side up with UAE as well as Oman, Kuwait, Lebanon, Syria, Romania, Germany, Italy, Britain, Iran, the Phillipines, Pakistan, India, China, Russia, and the US.

it's okay if you don't know this. but really, don't worry about the UAE.

regardless of wether they themselves are a threat they are to americans the same as any other arab/muslim looking person.

so the fact that the UAE govnmt owns and runs these ports could allow it to be easier for OTHER arab/muslim etc to infiltrate through these areas. if ur mexican its easier to sneak through mexican ran security if ur white its easier to get through white ran security etc... and thats really the point here.

regardless of all of that also though, because NO foreign person/gvnmt should own/lease/rent/run ANY aspect of US import/export/security/health/power. it is just stupid. and had i known the brits were running the ports before all this happened id be pissed at them too.

Thursday, February 23, 2006 9:50 PM on j-body.org
first of all jackaloupe...after seeing the ridiculously uniformed claims you made about the 911 in the "instant sex" thread i have about 0 respect for anything you post...this just confirmed by beliefs

Quote:

First this has little to do with the president in any way. Second this has nothing to do with the security of the ports either.
exactly

Quote:

wrong. the US checks 5% of the stuff. the other company that is there has the responsibility of checking the rest. so nope it aint OK. and im not making this up. this is what they said on the news.

lol...they said it on the news so it must be right...

Quote:

Heres the problem. The company that owned the shipping and security rights based in England was a private company. Dubia enterprises is owned solely by the UAE, so we are selling the ports to a forign govt. not a forign company. Thats #1 , #2 is that the version of the contract put for by the Bush admin gives them sole controling interest over the ports, their security, and the hireing and fireing of workers. The unions have already been put on notice that if this goes thru they can expect to have everyone fired and replaced by workers of their choosing. So how is this good for us? we no longer control the 6 busiest ports and we lose tons of jobs.

where the hell do you get your info...just like the nurburgring times of the 997 911 on street tires and the z06 on street tires eh? wtf man...first of all its DUBAI...second of all do you even know what the United Arab EMIRATES is....it is a country...one country composed of 7 different emirates...Abu Dhabi, Ajmân, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah....tell me which 9/11 terrorists were trained in one of those emirates...third of all...this "dubai enterprises as you call it is not even a company...the company that might be taking over the british company is called Dubai Ports World... http://www.dpiterminals.com/ id suggest you take the time to read up on them before you start spouting off "facts" taht you made up in yur head...also where did you get info on what all the unions are saying and that they are going to fire all our workers?? id love to see it....

Quote:

Graden, and everyone else please pay attention to my next statement !! The company Dubia enterprises is a STATE RUN COMPANY !! They are owned wholely by the UEA
please tell me how you know that it is a "state run company"

the following quote is from a TIME article...a notoriously left wing magazine i might add so they should be taking any chance they get to deface the bush admin however they said

"But to call the United Arab Emirates a country "tied to 9/11" by virtue of the fact that one of the hijackers was born there and others transited through it is akin to attaching the same label to Britain (where shoe-bomber Richard Reid was born) or Germany (where a number of the 9/11 conspirators were based for a time). Dubai's port has a reputation for being one of the best run in the Middle East, says Stephen Flynn, a maritime security expert at the Council on Foreign Relations. And Dubai Ports World, which is a relatively new venture launched by the government of Dubai in 1999, has a number of Americans well known in the shipping industry in its senior leadership. It operates port facilities from Australia through China, Korea and Malaysia to India, Germany and Venezuela. (The acquisition of P&O would give them control over container shipping ports in Vancouver, Buenos Aires and a number of locations in Britain, France and a number of Asian countries.) "It's not exactly a shadow organization for al-Qaeda," says Flynn. Dubai, in fact, was one of the first Middle Eastern countries to join the U.S. Container Security Initiative, which places U.S. customs agents in overseas ports to begin the screening process from a U.S.-bound cargo's point of departure.

In the talk-show furor over the transfer of P&O to Dubai Ports World, there has been little reference to the mechanics of port management in the U.S. Over 80 percent of the terminals in the Port of Los Angeles, for example — the biggest in the U.S. — are run by foreign-owned companies. U.S. ports are owned by state authorities, and the workers who actually offload the ships that dock there are the same unionized Americans who belong to the International Longshoremen's Association, regardless of which company hires them. Dubai Ports will not "own" the U.S. facilities, but will inherit the P&O's contracts to run them, with no changes in the dockside personnel or the U.S. government security operations that currently apply to them.

Dubai Ports World's acquisition of P&O is unlikely to affect the security situation at the six U.S. ports in question. As Flynn points out, the relevant question is not who owns the port, but what security arrangements are in place to prevent it being used as a point of entry for hostile elements. And right now on that front, U.S. ports across the board could use some work. "
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1161466,00.html

Quote:

/\ /\ And thats what I'm getting at ! Sure they may be friendly now but all those countries have coups ( spelling ? ) all the time. Who knows next week Bin-laden could be running the UAE and thus be in charge of our ports. Nope this is a stupid stupid idea.
you are crazy

so far you have zero history of anything in your posts beng informed...please do me a favor and stop blatantly making things up and READ for a little bit...listen to what other...more informed people (like Kevin P who made a very nice post) have to say about things for once and you might learn something

Supercharged 95 BMW 540i M-Sport
Thursday, February 23, 2006 9:52 PM on j-body.org
as a serious question to all non idiots reading this thread...what exactly can the US government do to stop Dubai Ports world from purchasing the BRITISH company P&O anyways? Im sure if the purchase goes through that if they wanted to they could breech contract and not allow them to oversee our ports but i think with noone else doing it it might be more determental to our world trade and therefore economy than helpful

Thursday, February 23, 2006 10:02 PM on j-body.org
damn all the effort and i shot myself in the foot...jackalope was not the one that made the claim about the 911 and nurburgring track times he did however convince himself that the 911 hasnt changed in 30 years while some the corvette has...heres a little secret...they have both changed immensely

Thursday, February 23, 2006 10:05 PM on j-body.org
read my post, i think i sum up why there SHOULD be soem cause for concern. regardless of if they are the nicest people in the entire world.

also, as i said in my post, no outside country/govnmt should run/own/lease any part of US security/ports/importexport/air/health/power. it is just not a smart or safe thing to do.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search