Navy launches deadliest and most expensive warship - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Navy launches deadliest and most expensive warship
Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:11 AM on j-body.org
Brittish NAVY that is.

http://www.type45.com/

"HMS Daring, the first of the Royal Navy's £6 billion fleet of six Type 45 Destroyers, thundered down the slipway into the River Clyde in Glasgow today, spouting red, white and blue confetti from her formidable stern," Simon Freeman reports for The Times Online. "Weighing 7,350 tonnes, her 14 decks bristling with the latest military technology, Daring's successful launch - on time and within budget - is seen as a symbol of rebirth in the Clydeside shipbuilding yards which faced devastation six years ago."

"The Defence Secretary said the launch was a proud day for the Royal Navy. 'It’s a huge boost for the Royal Navy because this is the most capable, most powerful destroyer ever built in the UK,' he said," Freeman reports. "HMS Daring's 230-strong crew should be happy too. She and her sisters will be the first "gender-neutral" warships to enter Royal Navy service, and the Hotel Facilities, as the living quarters are known, are the most opulent ever fitted in a British warship. Mess decks are replaced by individual cabins, each with their own iPod charging points, CD player, internet access, five channel recreational audio and larger berths."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2020417,00.html

Re: Navy launches deadliest and most expensive warship
Thursday, February 02, 2006 11:51 AM on j-body.org
6 Billion Pounds isn't really all that expensive for an entire class of warships seeing as the entire 62 ship class of Los Angeles class Fast Attack Submarines cost in excess of $50 billion dollars, the 18 ship class of Ohio class Ballistic Missile submarines cost over $30 Billion and one Seawolf class submarine costs $2.4 billion dollars. $1 billion dollars for a warship really isn't that expensive, for a destroyer, maybe, but still today's warships are approaching the $1 billion mark just for the small Destroyers and Cruisers.

Yella02-I promise I will return to you in one piece and this will stay up until I am safely home

Re: Navy launches deadliest and most expensive warship
Thursday, February 02, 2006 1:00 PM on j-body.org
It would be interesting to see what an Iowa or Missouri class battle ship would cost in todays money. I bet it'd be close to these guys.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Re: Navy launches deadliest and most expensive war
Thursday, February 02, 2006 3:35 PM on j-body.org
Saint wrote:6 Billion Pounds isn't really all that expensive for an entire class of warships seeing as the entire 62 ship class of Los Angeles class Fast Attack Submarines cost in excess of $50 billion dollars, the 18 ship class of Ohio class Ballistic Missile submarines cost over $30 Billion and one Seawolf class submarine costs $2.4 billion dollars. $1 billion dollars for a warship really isn't that expensive, for a destroyer, maybe, but still today's warships are approaching the $1 billion mark just for the small Destroyers and Cruisers.

You can't really compare the costs of submarines to surface ships. When you build a warship it is expensive. When you decide to take that warship a thousand feet underwater and keep it there for up to 120 days, the cost rises exponentially.
Thursday, February 02, 2006 4:22 PM on j-body.org
...you sunk my battleship!!!!!

Sorry, had to.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaði, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Saturday, February 04, 2006 4:41 PM on j-body.org
It's a hooah'd up Cruise Ship. i-Pod docking stations? Good grief, I thought we had it good with A/C and heating units...

I do love war machines though. Anything that is the latest and greatest in military gear catches my interest...

Now we need one with massaging chairs for the CPT, flat screens and mini bars in every room, and personal mini-submarines for the whole crew...

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 1:02 PM on j-body.org
Tis a fine lookin' vessel... Arghh! matey.
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 10:02 PM on j-body.org
The US Navy Guided Missle Destroyers cost upwards of 2.4 billion a piece. Just a little FYI. And the bigger they are the more they cost.. especially when the CVN21 carrier costs are finalized.. that puppy is gonna get expensive...haha
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search